Career and Education Opportunities for Communication Professors in Killeen, Texas
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for communication professors in the Killeen, Texas area. Communication professors generally teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for communication professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. Communication professors work in a variety of jobs, including: communications department head, debate director, and technical communication teacher.
There are six schools of higher education in the Killeen area, including three within twenty-five miles of Killeen where you can get a degree to start your career as a communication professor. Given that the most common education level for communication professors is a Master's degree, you can expect to spend about six years studying to be a communication professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Communication Professor
In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
Communication professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, communication professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. Finally, communication professors compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Every day, communication professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for communication professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also act as advisers to student organizations. They are sometimes expected to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. Somewhat less frequently, communication professors are also expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
Communication professors sometimes are asked to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They also have to be able to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, communication professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Killeen include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Communication Professor Training
Central Texas College - Killeen, TX
Central Texas College, 6200 West Central Texas Expressway, Killeen, TX 76540-1800. Central Texas College is a large college located in Killeen, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,736 students. Central Texas College has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Journalism, associate's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Radio and Television, less than one year and associate's degree which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor - Belton, TX
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, 900 College St, Belton, TX 76513-2599. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is a small university located in Belton, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,701 students and an admission rate of 43%. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree.
- Journalism, bachelor's degree.
Southwestern University - Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University, 1001 University Ave, Georgetown, TX 78626. Southwestern University is a small university located in Georgetown, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,270 students and an admission rate of 65%. Southwestern University has 3 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Mass Communication/Media Studies, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Political Communication, bachelor's degree.
Accreditation in Public Relations: APR certification proves you have successfully demonstrated competency in the knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice public relations effectively in today's business arena.
For more information, see the Public Relations Society of America website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Killeen, Texas
Killeen is situated in Bell County, Texas. It has a population of over 116,934, which has grown by 34.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Killeen, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Killeen are valued at $121,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, eight hundred fifty-five new homes were built in Killeen, down from 1,278 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Killeen are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is public administration, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 15.7% of Killeen residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.4%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Killeen is 7.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Killeen residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 47.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Abiding Savior Lutheran Church, Power House Church of God in Christ and Primera Iglesia Bautista Church are all churches located in Killeen. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Killeen is home to Long Branch Park and Long Branch Park. Visitors to Killeen can choose from Best Western Killeen, Comfort Inn and Best Value Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.