Career and Education Opportunities for Gaming Cashiers in Houston, Texas
Gaming cashiers can find many career and educational opportunities in the Houston, Texas area. The national trend for gaming cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. Gaming cashiers generally conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments.
The income of a gaming cashier is about $11 hourly or $24,070 per year on average in Texas. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $11 per hour or $24,890 per year on average. Gaming cashiers earn less than people working in the category of Billing and Bookkeeping generally in Texas and less than people in the Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of Houston where you can study to be a gaming cashier, among eighty-one schools of higher education total in the Houston area. Gaming cashiers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a gaming cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Gaming Cashier
In general, gaming cashiers conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. They also may reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books.
Gaming cashiers follow all gaming regulations. They also convert gaming checks and coins to currency for gaming patrons. Equally important, gaming cashiers have to cash checks and process credit card advances for patrons. They are often called upon to maintain confidentiality of customers' transactions. They are expected to count funds and reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Finally, gaming cashiers furnish customers with data related to casino operations.
Every day, gaming cashiers are expected to be able to deal with basic arithmetic problems. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they evaluate problems as they arise.
It is important for gaming cashiers to perform removal and rotation of cash and chip inventories as needed. They are often called upon to furnish assistance in the training and orientation of new cashiers. They also maintain cage security. They are sometimes expected to supply currency and gaming checks to other departments as needed. Somewhat less frequently, gaming cashiers are also expected to decide on cash requirements for windows, and order all needed currency and chips.
and record casino exchange transactions, using cash registers. And finally, they sometimes have to verify precision of reports, such as authorization forms and exchange summary reports.
Like many other jobs, gaming cashiers must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Houston include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Gaming Cashier Training
Houston's Training and Education Center - Houston, TX
Houston's Training and Education Center, 5335 Aldine Bender, Learning Center, Houston, TX 77032. Houston's Training and Education Center is a small school located in Houston, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. Houston's Training and Education Center has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated two students in 2008.
Texas School of Business Inc - Houston, TX
Texas School of Business Inc, 711 Airtex Dr, Houston, TX 77073. Texas School of Business Inc is a small school located in Houston, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 672 students. Texas School of Business Inc has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
College of the Mainland - Texas City, TX
College of the Mainland, 1200 Amburn Road, Texas City, TX 77591-2499. College of the Mainland is a small college located in Texas City, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,585 students. College of the Mainland has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Lee College - Baytown, TX
Lee College, 511 S Whiting, Baytown, TX 77520. Lee College is a medium sized college located in Baytown, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,968 students. Lee College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one and twelve students respectively in 2008.
Texas School of Business-Southwest Inc - Houston, TX
Texas School of Business-Southwest Inc, 6363 Richmond Ste 300, Houston, TX 77057. Texas School of Business-Southwest Inc is a small school located in Houston, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 538 students. Texas School of Business-Southwest Inc has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Houston, Texas
Houston is located in Harris County, Texas. It has a population of over 2,242,193, which has grown by 14.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Houston, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Houston are valued at $173,500 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, 3,684 new homes were constructed in Houston, down from 6,035 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Houston are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 27.0% of Houston residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.7%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Houston is 8.0%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Houston residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 50.4%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. El Buen Pastor United Methodist Church, 34th Temple Church of God in Christ and Pentecostal Church of God in Christ are some of the churches located in Houston. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Houston is home to the Champion Rod and Gun Club and the Independence Heights Residential Historic District as well as Hermann Park and Hennessey Park. Shopping centers in the area include Windsor Plaza Shopping Center, Meyerland Plaza Shopping Center and Meyerland Shopping Center. Visitors to Houston can choose from Capital Inn, Bradford Homesuites - Houston Galleria and Best Western Fountainview Inn and Suites for temporary stays in the area.