Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Grand Prairie, Texas
Grand Prairie, Texas provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for legislators. There are currently 1,820 jobs for legislators in Texas and this is projected to grow 9% to about 1,990 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legislators, which sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $37 per hour or $70,700 per year in Texas, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Incomes for legislators are not quite as good as in the overall category of Specialized Management in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Specialized Management category nationally. People working as legislators can fill a number of jobs, such as: city councilman, u.s. representative, and congressman.
There are four schools within twenty-five miles of Grand Prairie where you can study to be a legislator, among seventy-four schools of higher education total in the Grand Prairie area.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Grand Prairie include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Mountain View College - Dallas, TX
Mountain View College, 4849 W Illinois, Dallas, TX 75211-6599. Mountain View College is a medium sized college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,126 students. Mountain View College has an associate's degree program in Public Administration.
The University of Texas at Dallas - Richardson, TX
The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080-3021. The University of Texas at Dallas is a large university located in Richardson, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,940 students and an admission rate of 54%. The University of Texas at Dallas has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated thirty-one, eight, twenty-four, and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated zero, two, one, and six students respectively in 2008.
Southern Methodist University - Dallas, TX
Southern Methodist University, 6425 Boaz St, Dallas, TX 75275-0221. Southern Methodist University is a large university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 10,965 students and an admission rate of 50%. Southern Methodist University has a bachelor's degree program in Public Policy Analysis which graduated eleven students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus - Dallas, TX
University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus, 12400 Coit Road, Churchill Towers, Suite 200, Dallas, TX 75251-2009. University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus is a small university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,198 students. University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Grand Prairie, Texas
Grand Prairie is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 160,641, which has grown by 26.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Grand Prairie, 90, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Grand Prairie are priced at $174,200 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, five hundred forty-four new homes were built in Grand Prairie, down from 1,058 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Grand Prairie are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, transportation equipment, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 19.3% of Grand Prairie residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Grand Prairie is 8.7%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Grand Prairie residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Abundant Life Assembly of God Church, Celestial Church of Christ and Saint Andrew Church are some of the churches located in Grand Prairie. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Grand Prairie is home to Kennedy Middle School Football Stadium and Hendrix Park. Visitors to Grand Prairie can choose from Blue Sky Hospitality, Amerisuites and Comfort Inn for temporary stays in the area.