Career and Education Opportunities for Office Machine Operators in El Paso, Texas
There are many career and education opportunities for office machine operators in the El Paso, Texas area. About 9,090 people are currently employed as office machine operators in Texas. By 2016, this is expected to grow 6% to about 9,660 people employed. This is better than the national trend for office machine operators, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 7.6% over the next eight years. In general, office machine operators operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
Office machine operators earn approximately $11 hourly or $24,800 yearly on average in Texas. Nationally they average about $12 per hour or $25,780 yearly. Earnings for office machine operators are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Secretarial in Texas and not quite as good as general Secretarial category earnings nationally.
The El Paso area is home to seventeen schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of El Paso where you can get a degree as an office machine operator. Given that the most common education level for office machine operators is a high school diploma or GED, it will take only a short time to learn to be an office machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Office Machine Operator
In general, office machine operators operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
Office machine operators sort and proof completed work. They also load machines with materials such as blank paper or film. Equally important, office machine operators have to monitor machine operation, and make adjustments as needed to insure proper operation. They are often called upon to place original copies in feed trays, feed originals into feed rolls, or position originals on tables beneath camera lenses. They are expected to operate auxiliary machines such as collators, pad and tablet making machines and paper punching, folding and perforating machines. Finally, office machine operators file and store completed documents.
Every day, office machine operators are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for office machine operators to complete archives of production, including work volumes and outputs and any backlogs. They are often called upon to deliver completed work. They also ready and process papers for use in scanning and microfiche. They are sometimes expected to clean and file master copies or plates. Somewhat less frequently, office machine operators are also expected to operate office machines such as high speed business photocopiers, reader/scanners, addressing machines, stencil-cutting machines, microfilm reader/printers, folding and inserting and binder machines.
and prepare and adjust machines, regulating factors such as speed and number of copies. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain stock of supplies, and requisition any needed items.
Like many other jobs, office machine operators must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in El Paso include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Office Machine Operator Training
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana, 3400 S Espina, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana is a medium sized university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,336 students. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated three and nineteen students respectively in 2008.
International Business College - El Paso, TX
International Business College, 5700 Cromo, El Paso, TX 79912. International Business College is a small college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 421 students. International Business College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated forty-five students in 2008.
International Business College - El Paso, TX
International Business College, 1155 N Zaragosa Rd Suite 100, El Paso, TX 79907. International Business College is a small college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 425 students. International Business College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: El Paso, Texas
El Paso is situated in El Paso County, Texas. It has a population of over 613,190, which has grown by 8.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in El Paso, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in El Paso are priced at $150,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, 2,521 new homes were built in El Paso, down from 2,666 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in El Paso are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 18.3% of El Paso residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in El Paso is 8.7%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of El Paso residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 63.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Holiness Church, El Divino Redentor United Methodist Church and El Paso Catholic Church are some of the churches located in El Paso. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
El Paso is home to the Wyler Aerial Tramway and the Old Fort Bliss as well as Travis White Park and Feather Lake Wildlife Refuge. Shopping centers in the area include Las Palmas Shopping Center, NorthPark Shopping Center and Cielo Vista Shopping Center. Visitors to El Paso can choose from Holiday Inn El Paso, Best Western Airport Inn and Allstate Motel for temporary stays in the area.