Career and Education Opportunities for Typists in El Paso, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for typists in the El Paso, Texas area. There are currently 4,640 working typists in Texas; this should shrink 3% to 4,520 working typists in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for typists are expected to shrink by about 5.7%. In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording.
A person working as a typist can expect to earn about $14 hourly or $30,560 per year on average in Texas and about $15 hourly or $31,390 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for typists are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Computer Operation in Texas and not quite as good as general Computer Operation category earnings nationally.
The El Paso area is home to seventeen schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of El Paso where you can get a degree as a typist. Given that the most common education level for typists is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a typist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Typist
In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. They also may perform other clerical duties as assigned.
Typists print and make copies of their work. They also perform other clerical duties such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes. Equally important, typists have to type correspondence, reports, text and other written material from rough drafts, corrected copies, voice recordings, dictation or previous versions, using a computer or typewriter. They are often called upon to address envelopes or ready envelope labels, using typewriter or computer. They are expected to adjust settings for format and other style requirements. Finally, typists gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions.
Every day, typists are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they move their hands and fingers quickly.
It is important for typists to search for specific sets of stored, typed characters so as to make changes. They are often called upon to compute and verify totals on report forms or bills, using adding machine or calculator. They also keep archives of work performed. They are sometimes expected to transcribe stenotyped notes of court proceedings. Somewhat less frequently, typists are also expected to transmit work electronically to other locations.
Typists sometimes are asked to gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions. They also have to be able to reformat documents, moving paragraphs and/or columns And finally, they sometimes have to use data entry devices.
Like many other jobs, typists must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in El Paso include:
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Computer Systems Support Specialist. Monitor and control electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to process business, scientific, and other data according to operating instructions. May enter commands at a computer terminal and set controls on computer and peripheral devices. Monitor and respond to operating and error messages.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Library Clerk. Compile records, sort and shelve books, and issue and receive library materials such as pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Typist Training
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana, 3400 S Espina, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana is a medium sized university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,336 students. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated three and nineteen students respectively in 2008.
International Business College - El Paso, TX
International Business College, 5700 Cromo, El Paso, TX 79912. International Business College is a small college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 421 students. International Business College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated forty-five students in 2008.
International Business College - El Paso, TX
International Business College, 1155 N Zaragosa Rd Suite 100, El Paso, TX 79907. International Business College is a small college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 425 students. International Business College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated one student in 2008.
Certified Broadcast Captioner: Prove you're on the cutting edge.
For more information, see the National Court Reporters Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: El Paso, Texas
El Paso is situated in El Paso County, Texas. It has a population of over 613,190, which has grown by 8.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in El Paso, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in El Paso are priced at $150,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, 2,521 new homes were built in El Paso, down from 2,666 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in El Paso are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 18.3% of El Paso residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in El Paso is 8.7%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of El Paso residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 63.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Holiness Church, El Divino Redentor United Methodist Church and El Paso Catholic Church are some of the churches located in El Paso. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
El Paso is home to the Wyler Aerial Tramway and the Old Fort Bliss as well as Travis White Park and Feather Lake Wildlife Refuge. Shopping centers in the area include Las Palmas Shopping Center, NorthPark Shopping Center and Cielo Vista Shopping Center. Visitors to El Paso can choose from Holiday Inn El Paso, Best Western Airport Inn and Allstate Motel for temporary stays in the area.