Career and Education Opportunities for Computer Clerks in El Paso, Texas
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for computer clerks in the El Paso, Texas area. Currently, 22,650 people work as computer clerks in Texas. This is expected to grow by 2% to about 23,070 people by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for computer clerks are expected to shrink by about 6.1%. In general, computer clerks operate data entry device.
Computer clerks earn about $11 per hour or $24,500 per year on average in Texas and about $12 per hour or $26,120 yearly on average nationally. Computer clerks earn less than people working in the category of Computer Operation generally in Texas and less than people in the Computer Operation category nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of El Paso where you can study to be a computer clerk, among seventeen schools of higher education total in the El Paso area. The most common level of education for computer clerks is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a computer clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Computer Clerk
In general, computer clerks operate data entry device.
Computer clerks store completed documents in appropriate locations. They also compile, sort and verify the precision of data before it is entered. Equally important, computer clerks have to locate and correct data entry errors, or report them to supervisors. They are often called upon to compare data with source documents, or re-enter data in verification format to uncover errors. Finally, computer clerks maintain logs of efforts and completed work.
Every day, computer clerks are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for computer clerks to load machines with required input or output media such as paper, cards, disks, tape or Braille media. They are often called upon to read source documents such as canceled checks or bills, and enter data in specific data fields or onto tapes or disks for subsequent entry, using keyboards or scanners. They also decide on materials needed to finish work assignments. Somewhat less frequently, computer clerks are also expected to decide on materials needed to finish work assignments.
And finally, they sometimes have to maintain logs of efforts and completed work.
Like many other jobs, computer clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in El Paso include:
- Computer Systems Support Specialist. Monitor and control electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to process business, scientific, and other data according to operating instructions. May enter commands at a computer terminal and set controls on computer and peripheral devices. Monitor and respond to operating and error messages.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Typist. Type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. May perform other clerical duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Computer Clerk Training
El Paso Community College - El Paso, TX
El Paso Community College, 919 Hunter Drive, El Paso, TX 79915-1908. El Paso Community College is a large college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 25,833 students. El Paso Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry which graduated six and eight students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: El Paso, Texas
El Paso is situated in El Paso County, Texas. It has a population of over 613,190, which has grown by 8.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in El Paso, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in El Paso are priced at $150,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, 2,521 new homes were built in El Paso, down from 2,666 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in El Paso are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 18.3% of El Paso residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in El Paso is 8.7%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of El Paso residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 63.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Holiness Church, El Divino Redentor United Methodist Church and El Paso Catholic Church are some of the churches located in El Paso. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
El Paso is home to the Wyler Aerial Tramway and the Old Fort Bliss as well as Travis White Park and Feather Lake Wildlife Refuge. Shopping centers in the area include Las Palmas Shopping Center, NorthPark Shopping Center and Cielo Vista Shopping Center. Visitors to El Paso can choose from Holiday Inn El Paso, Best Western Airport Inn and Allstate Motel for temporary stays in the area.