Career and Education Opportunities for Multi-Media Artist or Animators in El Paso, Texas
Multi-media artist or animators can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the El Paso, Texas area. There are currently 7,020 jobs for multi-media artist or animators in Texas and this is projected to grow by 31% to about 9,220 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for multi-media artist or animators are expected to grow by about 14.2%. In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
A person working as a multi-media artist or animator can expect to earn about $23 per hour or $48,840 per year on average in Texas and about $27 per hour or $56,330 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for multi-media artist or animators are better than earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Texas and better than general Art and Design category earnings nationally. Multi-media artist or animators work in a variety of jobs, including: digital artist, multimedia artist, and motion pictures cartoonist.
There are seventeen schools of higher education in the El Paso area, including two within twenty-five miles of El Paso where you can get a degree to start your career as a multi-media artist or animator. The most common level of education for multi-media artist or animators is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a multi-media artist or animator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Multi-Media Artist or Animator
In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Every day, multi-media artist or animators are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to visualize how things come together and can be organized. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for multi-media artist or animators to layout complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment and computer equipment. They are often called upon to make objects or characters appear lifelike by manipulating light and transparency, or manipulating static images to give the illusion of motion. They also develop pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured or animated by computer. They are sometimes expected to develop basic designs and illustrations for product labels or television. Somewhat less frequently, multi-media artist or animators are also expected to use models to simulate the behavior of animated objects in the finished sequence.
Multi-media artist or animators sometimes are asked to develop and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood and clay. and implement and maintain configuration control systems. And finally, they sometimes have to implement and maintain configuration control systems.
Like many other jobs, multi-media artist or animators must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in El Paso include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Multi-Media Artist or Animator Training
The University of Texas at El Paso - El Paso, TX
The University of Texas at El Paso, 500 W. University Ave, El Paso, TX 79968-0691. The University of Texas at El Paso is a large university located in El Paso, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 20,458 students and an admission rate of 99%. The University of Texas at El Paso has 4 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Graphic Design, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated sixteen and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Drawing, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Painting, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Printmaking, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana, 3400 S Espina, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana is a medium sized university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,336 students. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana has a one to two year program in Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects which graduated three students in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: El Paso, Texas
El Paso is situated in El Paso County, Texas. It has a population of over 613,190, which has grown by 8.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in El Paso, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in El Paso are priced at $150,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, 2,521 new homes were built in El Paso, down from 2,666 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in El Paso are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 18.3% of El Paso residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in El Paso is 8.7%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of El Paso residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 63.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Holiness Church, El Divino Redentor United Methodist Church and El Paso Catholic Church are some of the churches located in El Paso. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
El Paso is home to the Wyler Aerial Tramway and the Old Fort Bliss as well as Travis White Park and Feather Lake Wildlife Refuge. Shopping centers in the area include Las Palmas Shopping Center, NorthPark Shopping Center and Cielo Vista Shopping Center. Visitors to El Paso can choose from Holiday Inn El Paso, Best Western Airport Inn and Allstate Motel for temporary stays in the area.