Career and Education Opportunities for Display Specialists in El Paso, Texas
Display specialists can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the El Paso, Texas area. About 11,180 people are currently employed as display specialists in Texas. By 2016, this is expected to grow 23% to 13,740 people employed. This is better than the national trend for display specialists, which sees this job pool growing by about 7.1% over the next eight years. In general, display specialists plan and erect commercial displays.
The income of a display specialist is about $11 per hour or $23,340 yearly on average in Texas. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $12 hourly or $25,940 annually on average. Earnings for display specialists are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Texas and not quite as good as general Art and Design category earnings nationally. People working as display specialists can fill a number of jobs, such as: window trimmer apprentice, showcase trimmer, and trimmer.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of El Paso where you can study to be a display specialist, among seventeen schools of higher education total in the El Paso area. Display specialists usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a display specialist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Display Specialist
In general, display specialists plan and erect commercial displays.
Display specialists change or rotate window displays, interior display areas, and signage to reflect changes in inventory or promotion. They also arrange properties and other accessories, as shown in prepared sketches. Equally important, display specialists have to formulate commercial displays to entice and appeal to customers. They are often called upon to design concepts or plans for merchandise displays or window decorations. Finally, display specialists confer with advertising and sales staff to establish types of products to be featured and time and place for each display.
Every day, display specialists are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to twist and stretch their arms and legs to get work done. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for display specialists to place prices and descriptive signs on backdrops or floor. They are often called upon to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements. They also collaborate with others to obtain products and other display items. They are sometimes expected to obtain plans from display designers or display managers, and consider their implementation with clients or supervisors. Somewhat less frequently, display specialists are also expected to maintain props and mannequins, inspecting them for imperfections and applying preservative coatings as needed.
Display specialists sometimes are asked to store and maintain records of props and display items. And finally, they sometimes have to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements.
Like many other jobs, display specialists must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in El Paso include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Display Specialist Training
Computer Career Center - El Paso, TX
Computer Career Center, 6101 Montana Ave, El Paso, TX 79925-2021. Computer Career Center is a small school located in El Paso, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 303 students. Computer Career Center has a one to two year program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated forty-six students in 2008.
El Paso Community College - El Paso, TX
El Paso Community College, 919 Hunter Drive, El Paso, TX 79915-1908. El Paso Community College is a large college located in El Paso, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 25,833 students. El Paso Community College has an associate's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana - Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana, 3400 S Espina, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana is a medium sized university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,336 students. New Mexico State University-Dona Ana has a one to two year program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated eight students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: El Paso, Texas
El Paso is situated in El Paso County, Texas. It has a population of over 613,190, which has grown by 8.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in El Paso, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in El Paso are priced at $150,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, 2,521 new homes were built in El Paso, down from 2,666 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in El Paso are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 18.3% of El Paso residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in El Paso is 8.7%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of El Paso residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 63.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Holiness Church, El Divino Redentor United Methodist Church and El Paso Catholic Church are some of the churches located in El Paso. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
El Paso is home to the Wyler Aerial Tramway and the Old Fort Bliss as well as Travis White Park and Feather Lake Wildlife Refuge. Shopping centers in the area include Las Palmas Shopping Center, NorthPark Shopping Center and Cielo Vista Shopping Center. Visitors to El Paso can choose from Holiday Inn El Paso, Best Western Airport Inn and Allstate Motel for temporary stays in the area.