Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Denton, Texas
Legislators can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Denton, Texas area. There are currently 1,820 jobs for legislators in Texas and this is projected to grow 9% to about 1,990 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legislators, which sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $37 per hour or $70,700 per year in Texas, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Management, people working as legislators in Texas earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Management nationally. Legislators work in a variety of jobs, including: council member, u.s. senator, and delegate.
There are twenty-seven schools of higher education in the Denton area, including four within twenty-five miles of Denton where you can get a degree to start your career as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Denton include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
University of North Texas - Denton, TX
University of North Texas, Chestnut Ave., Denton, TX 76203-1277. University of North Texas is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,795 students and an admission rate of 64%. University of North Texas has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Public Administration which graduated fifty-four, thirty-eight, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Texas Woman's University - Denton, TX
Texas Woman's University, 304 Administration Dr, Denton, TX 76201. Texas Woman's University is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,341 students and an admission rate of 56%. Texas Woman's University has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration which graduated one student in 2008.
The University of Texas at Dallas - Richardson, TX
The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080-3021. The University of Texas at Dallas is a large university located in Richardson, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,940 students and an admission rate of 54%. The University of Texas at Dallas has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated thirty-one, eight, twenty-four, and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated zero, two, one, and six students respectively in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus - Dallas, TX
University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus, 12400 Coit Road, Churchill Towers, Suite 200, Dallas, TX 75251-2009. University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus is a small university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,198 students. University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Denton, Texas
Denton is located in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 119,454, which has grown by 48.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Denton, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Denton are priced at $265,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-eight new homes were constructed in Denton, down from seven hundred eighty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Denton are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 35.5% of Denton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Denton is 6.0%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Denton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Pleasant Grove Church and Central Baptist Church are among the churches located in Denton. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Denton is home to the Denton County Courthouse and the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum as well as Phoenix Park and Evers Park. Visitors to Denton can choose from Best Western Denton Inn and Clayton House Motel for temporary stays in the area.