Career and Education Opportunities for Career Advisors in Denton, Texas
There are many career and education opportunities for career advisors in the Denton, Texas area. Currently, 20,640 people work as career advisors in Texas. This is expected to grow by 30% to 26,920 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for career advisors, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.0% over the next eight years. In general, career advisors counsel individuals and provide group educational and vocational guidance services.
Career advisors earn about $25 per hour or $52,780 yearly on average in Texas and about $24 hourly or $51,050 per year on average nationally. Career advisors earn more than people working in the category of Counseling and Therapy generally in Texas and more than people in the Counseling and Therapy category nationally. Career advisors work in a variety of jobs, including: academic counselor, residence counselor, and student support counselor.
There are twenty-seven schools of higher education in the Denton area, including two within twenty-five miles of Denton where you can get a degree to start your career as a career advisor. Career advisors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years training to become a career advisor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Career Advisor
In general, career advisors counsel individuals and provide group educational and vocational guidance services.
Career advisors attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required. They also attend professional meetings and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence. Equally important, career advisors have to ready students for later educational experiences by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks. They are often called upon to meet with other professionals to consider individual students' needs and progress. They are expected to counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, class scheduling and career planning. Finally, career advisors furnish crisis intervention to students when difficult situations occur at schools.
Every day, career advisors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for career advisors to identify cases involving domestic abuse or other family problems affecting students' development. They are often called upon to conduct follow-up interviews with counselees to establish if their needs have been met. They also compile and study occupational, educational, and economic data to help counselees in determining and carrying out vocational and educational objectives. They are sometimes expected to meet with parents and guardians to consider their children's progress and to establish their priorities for their children and their resource needs. Somewhat less frequently, career advisors are also expected to interview clients to obtain data related to employment history and career goals, and to pinpoint barriers to employment.
Career advisors sometimes are asked to formulate and conduct orientation programs and group conferences to promote the adjustment of individuals to new life experiences such as starting college. and enforce all administration policies and rules governing students. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish data to businesses regarding human resource and employment issues.
Like many other jobs, career advisors must have exceptional integrity and have a strong concern for others.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Denton include:
- Child and Family Services Worker. Provide social services and assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of children and their families and to maximize the family well-being and the academic functioning of children. May assist single parents, arrange adoptions, and find foster homes for abandoned or abused children. In schools, they address such problems as teenage pregnancy, misbehavior, and truancy. May also advise teachers on how to deal with problem children.
- Health Education Specialist. Promote, maintain, and improve individual and community health by assisting individuals and communities to adopt healthy behaviors. Collect and analyze data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies and environments. May also serve as a resource to assist individuals, other professionals, or the community, and may administer fiscal resources for health education programs.
- Marriage and Family Therapist. Diagnose and treat mental and emotional disorders, whether cognitive, or behavioral, within the context of marriage and family systems. Apply psychotherapeutic and family systems theories and techniques in the delivery of professional services to individuals, couples, and families for the purpose of treating such diagnosed nervous and mental disorders.
- Probation Officer. Provide social services to assist in rehabilitation of law offenders in custody or on probation or parole. Make recommendations for actions involving formulation of rehabilitation plan and treatment of offender, including conditional release and education and employment stipulations.
- Rehabilitation Counselor. Counsel individuals to maximize the independence and employability of persons coping with personal, social, and vocational difficulties that result from birth defects, illness, or the stress of daily life. Coordinate activities for residents of care and treatment facilities. Assess client needs and design and implement rehabilitation programs that may include personal and vocational counseling, training, and job placement.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Career Advisor Training
University of North Texas - Denton, TX
University of North Texas, Chestnut Ave., Denton, TX 76203-1277. University of North Texas is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,795 students and an admission rate of 64%. University of North Texas has postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services which graduated zero, eighty-two, and ten students respectively in 2008.
Texas Woman's University - Denton, TX
Texas Woman's University, 304 Administration Dr, Denton, TX 76201. Texas Woman's University is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,341 students and an admission rate of 56%. Texas Woman's University has a master's degree and a post-master's certificate program in Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services which graduated thirty-six and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Professional in Learning and Performance: The Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP) offered by the ASTD Certification Institute offers workplace learning and performance (WLP) professions an opportunity to enhance credibility and prove value in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
For more information, see the American Society for Training and Development website.
Distance Credentialed counselor: A Distance Credentialed Counselor (DCC) will be nationally recognized as a professional with training in best practices in Distance Counseling.
For more information, see the Center for Credentialing & Education, Inc. website.
Distance Credential Facilitator: Individuals who obtain the Distance Credentialed Facilitator (DCF) title can effectively provide assistance to clients in the area of life career development and planning.
For more information, see the Center for Credentialing & Education, Inc. website.
Certified Vocational Evaluation Specialist: The Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) believes that individuals certified as vocational assessment professionals (CVE, CWA, and CCAA) must continue to expand their skills to enhance the quality of services they provide.
For more information, see the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification website.
Certified Workforce Specialist: Candidates must pass all four (4) WPDP competencies exams (History of Workforce Development, Business & Jobseeker Specialist, Unemployment Insurance Specialist, and Labor Market Information Specialist).
For more information, see the International Association of Workforce Professionals website.
Associate Certified Coach: There are two paths to the ACC credential: 1.
For more information, see the International Coach Federation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Denton, Texas
Denton is located in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 119,454, which has grown by 48.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Denton, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Denton are priced at $265,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-eight new homes were constructed in Denton, down from seven hundred eighty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Denton are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 35.5% of Denton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Denton is 6.0%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Denton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Pleasant Grove Church and Central Baptist Church are among the churches located in Denton. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Denton is home to the Denton County Courthouse and the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum as well as Phoenix Park and Evers Park. Visitors to Denton can choose from Best Western Denton Inn and Clayton House Motel for temporary stays in the area.