Career and Education Opportunities for Mechanical Engineers in Denton, Texas
Denton, Texas provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for mechanical engineers. There are currently 15,970 working mechanical engineers in Texas; this should grow 18% to 18,870 working mechanical engineers in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for mechanical engineers are expected to grow by about 6.0%. In general, mechanical engineers perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, and other mechanically functioning equipment.
Mechanical engineers earn about $39 hourly or $81,230 per year on average in Texas and about $36 hourly or $74,920 annually on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Engineering, people working as mechanical engineers in Texas earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Engineering nationally. People working as mechanical engineers can fill a number of jobs, such as: hvac engineer , machine tool designer, and mechanical design engineer.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Denton where you can study to be a mechanical engineer, among twenty-seven schools of higher education total in the Denton area. The most common level of education for mechanical engineers is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years training to become a mechanical engineer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Mechanical Engineer
In general, mechanical engineers perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. They also oversee installation, operation, and repair of such equipment as centralized heat, gas, and steam systems.
Mechanical engineers read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings and computer-generated reports. They also design and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to gauge feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification. Equally important, mechanical engineers have to conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, layout, operation and effectiveness of equipment, components and systems. Finally, mechanical engineers specify system components or direct modification of products to insure conformance with engineering layout and performance specifications.
Every day, mechanical engineers are expected to be able to think through problems and come up with general rules. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for mechanical engineers to talk with engineers and other personnel to execute operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and furnish technical data. They are often called upon to recommend layout modifications to remove machine or system malfunctions. They also research and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to fit requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles. They are sometimes expected to assist drafters in developing the structural layout of products using drafting tools or computer-assisted layout (CAD) or drafting equipment and software. Somewhat less frequently, mechanical engineers are also expected to estimate costs and submit bids for engineering or extraction projects, and ready contract documents.
Mechanical engineers sometimes are asked to layout test control apparatus and equipment and develop processes for testing products. They also have to be able to research and analyze customer layout proposals and other data to review the feasibility and maintenance requirements of designs or applications and solicit new business and furnish technical customer service. And finally, they sometimes have to solicit new business and furnish technical customer service.
Like many other jobs, mechanical engineers must be thorough and dependable and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Denton include:
- Architectural Drafter. Prepare detailed drawings of architectural designs and plans for buildings and structures according to specifications provided by architect.
- Civil Draftsman. Prepare drawings and topographical and relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and water and sewerage control systems.
- Civil Engineering Technician. Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
- Computer Engineer. Research, design, and test computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components.
- Electrical Engineer. Design, develop, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, or scientific use.
- Electronics Engineer. Research, design, and test electronic components and systems for commercial, industrial, or scientific use utilizing knowledge of electronic theory and materials properties. Design electronic circuits and components for use in fields such as telecommunications, aerospace guidance and propulsion control, acoustics, or instruments and controls.
- Electronics Engineering Technician. Lay out, build, and modify developmental and production electronic components, parts, and systems, such as computer equipment, missile control instrumentation, electron tubes, and machine tool numerical controls, applying principles and theories of electronics, electrical circuitry, engineering mathematics, electronic and electrical testing, and physics. Usually work under direction of engineering staff.
- Equipment Engineering Technician. Apply electrical theory and related knowledge to test and modify developmental or operational electrical machinery and electrical control equipment and circuitry in industrial or commercial plants and laboratories. Usually work under direction of engineering staff.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Mechanical Engineer Training
University of North Texas - Denton, TX
University of North Texas, Chestnut Ave., Denton, TX 76203-1277. University of North Texas is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,795 students and an admission rate of 64%. University of North Texas has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Mechanical Engineering.
Planning and Scheduling Professional: The PSP certification is to recognize specialists who meet a demanding set of planning and scheduling criteria by a rigorous examination, experience, education and ethical qualificaion.
For more information, see the AACE International (Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering through total cost management) website.
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing Professional - Technologist: ASME GDTP Certification provides the means to recognize proficiency in the understanding and application of the geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) principles expressed in the ASME Y14.
For more information, see the American Society of Mechanical Engineers International website.
Certified in Plumbing Design: The Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD) program is an international certification program for engineers and designers of plumbing systems.
For more information, see the American Society of Plumbing Engineers website.
Certified Associate in Materials Handling: MHMS is proud to offer a professional certification program for its members.
For more information, see the Materials Handling and Management Society website.
PV Installer Certification: The target candidate for NABCEP certification is the person responsible for the system installation (e.
For more information, see the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Denton, Texas
Denton is located in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 119,454, which has grown by 48.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Denton, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Denton are priced at $265,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-eight new homes were constructed in Denton, down from seven hundred eighty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Denton are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 35.5% of Denton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 13.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Denton is 6.0%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Denton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Pleasant Grove Church and Central Baptist Church are among the churches located in Denton. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Denton is home to the Denton County Courthouse and the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum as well as Phoenix Park and Evers Park. Visitors to Denton can choose from Best Western Denton Inn and Clayton House Motel for temporary stays in the area.