Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Carrollton, Texas
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for legal secretaries in the Carrollton, Texas area. About 14,770 people are currently employed as legal secretaries in Texas. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 18% to 17,440 people employed. This is not quite as good as the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
A person working as a legal secretary can expect to earn about $19 hourly or $40,260 per year on average in Texas and about $19 per hour or $39,860 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for legal secretaries are better than in the overall category of Secretarial in Texas, and better than the overall Secretarial category nationally.
The Carrollton area is home to ninety-five schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Carrollton where you can get a degree as a legal secretary. Legal secretaries usually hold an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, so it will take about two years to learn to be a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Carrollton include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Production Proofreader. Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
Central Texas Commercial College - Dallas, TX
Central Texas Commercial College, 9400 N Central Expy Ste 200, Dallas, TX 75231. Central Texas Commercial College is a small college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 55 students. Central Texas Commercial College has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated ten students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Carrollton, Texas
Carrollton is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 125,595, which has grown by 14.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Carrollton, 90, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Carrollton are valued at $265,200 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-seven new homes were constructed in Carrollton, down from one hundred ninety-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Carrollton are educational services, finance and insurance, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 37.0% of Carrollton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Carrollton is 7.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Carrollton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Primera Iglesia Bautista Hispana Church, Redeemer Covenant Church and Christian Life Assembly of God Church are all churches located in Carrollton. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Carrollton is home to the Elm Fork Filtration Plant and the A W Perry Homestead Museum as well as Thomas Park and Hebron High School Baseball Field.