Career and Education Opportunities for Gaming Cashiers in Carrollton, Texas
Gaming cashiers can find many career and educational opportunities in the Carrollton, Texas area. The national trend for gaming cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. In general, gaming cashiers conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments.
A person working as a gaming cashier can expect to earn about $11 per hour or $24,070 yearly on average in Texas and about $11 per hour or $24,890 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Gaming cashiers earn less than people working in the category of Billing and Bookkeeping generally in Texas and less than people in the Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
The Carrollton area is home to ninety-five schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Carrollton where you can get a degree as a gaming cashier. Given that the most common education level for gaming cashiers is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a gaming cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Gaming Cashier
In general, gaming cashiers conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. They also may reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books.
Gaming cashiers follow all gaming regulations. They also convert gaming checks and coins to currency for gaming patrons. Equally important, gaming cashiers have to cash checks and process credit card advances for patrons. They are often called upon to maintain confidentiality of customers' transactions. They are expected to count funds and reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Finally, gaming cashiers furnish customers with data related to casino operations.
Every day, gaming cashiers are expected to be able to deal with basic arithmetic problems. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they evaluate problems as they arise.
It is important for gaming cashiers to perform removal and rotation of cash and chip inventories as needed. They are often called upon to furnish assistance in the training and orientation of new cashiers. They also maintain cage security. They are sometimes expected to supply currency and gaming checks to other departments as needed. Somewhat less frequently, gaming cashiers are also expected to decide on cash requirements for windows, and order all needed currency and chips.
and record casino exchange transactions, using cash registers. And finally, they sometimes have to verify precision of reports, such as authorization forms and exchange summary reports.
Like many other jobs, gaming cashiers must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Carrollton include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Gaming Cashier Training
Brookhaven College - Farmers Branch, TX
Brookhaven College, 3939 Valley View Ln, Farmers Branch, TX 75244-4997. Brookhaven College is a large college located in Farmers Branch, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,173 students. Brookhaven College has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Tarrant County College District - Fort Worth, TX
Tarrant County College District, 1500 Houston St, Fort Worth, TX 76102-6599. Tarrant County College District is a large college located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 39,596 students. Tarrant County College District has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated seventy-eight and twenty-five students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Richardson - Richardson, TX
ITT Technical Institute-Richardson, 2101 Waterview Pky, Richardson, TX 75080. ITT Technical Institute-Richardson is a small school located in Richardson, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 705 students and an admission rate of 46%. ITT Technical Institute-Richardson has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
CCI Training Center - Arlington, TX
CCI Training Center, 770 E. Road To Six Flags # 140, Arlington, TX 76011. CCI Training Center is a small school located in Arlington, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 66 students. CCI Training Center has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated 158 students in 2008.
Cedar Valley College - Lancaster, TX
Cedar Valley College, 3030 N Dallas Ave, Lancaster, TX 75134-3799. Cedar Valley College is a medium sized college located in Lancaster, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,223 students. Cedar Valley College has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Carrollton, Texas
Carrollton is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 125,595, which has grown by 14.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Carrollton, 90, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Carrollton are valued at $265,200 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-seven new homes were constructed in Carrollton, down from one hundred ninety-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Carrollton are educational services, finance and insurance, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 37.0% of Carrollton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Carrollton is 7.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Carrollton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Primera Iglesia Bautista Hispana Church, Redeemer Covenant Church and Christian Life Assembly of God Church are all churches located in Carrollton. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Carrollton is home to the Elm Fork Filtration Plant and the A W Perry Homestead Museum as well as Thomas Park and Hebron High School Baseball Field.