Career and Education Opportunities for Law Professors in Carrollton, Texas
For those living in the Carrollton, Texas area, there are many career and education opportunities for law professors. In general, law professors teach courses in law.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for law professors are better than earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Texas and better than general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. People working as law professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: instructor, college or university faculty member, and professor.
The Carrollton area is home to ninety-five schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Carrollton where you can get a degree as a law professor. Law professors usually hold a first professional degree, so you can expect to spend two years training to become a law professor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or about six years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Law Professor
In general, law professors teach courses in law.
Law professors evaluate and grade students' class work and oral presentations. They also collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. Equally important, law professors have to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They are often called upon to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are expected to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. Finally, law professors participate in student recruitment and placement efforts.
Every day, law professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for law professors to act as advisers to student organizations. They are often called upon to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They also decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They are sometimes expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head. Somewhat less frequently, law professors are also expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Law professors sometimes are asked to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as civil procedure and torts. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry And finally, they sometimes have to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
Like many other jobs, law professors must be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Carrollton include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Law Professor Training
Texas Wesleyan University - Fort Worth, TX
Texas Wesleyan University, 1201 Wesleyan St, Fort Worth, TX 76105-1536. Texas Wesleyan University is a small university located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,202 students and an admission rate of 68%. Texas Wesleyan University has a professional degree program in Law which graduated 180 students in 2008.
Southern Methodist University - Dallas, TX
Southern Methodist University, 6425 Boaz St, Dallas, TX 75275-0221. Southern Methodist University is a large university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 10,965 students and an admission rate of 50%. Southern Methodist University has a professional degree program in Law which graduated 291 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Carrollton, Texas
Carrollton is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 125,595, which has grown by 14.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Carrollton, 90, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Carrollton are valued at $265,200 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-seven new homes were constructed in Carrollton, down from one hundred ninety-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Carrollton are educational services, finance and insurance, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 37.0% of Carrollton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Carrollton is 7.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Carrollton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Primera Iglesia Bautista Hispana Church, Redeemer Covenant Church and Christian Life Assembly of God Church are all churches located in Carrollton. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Carrollton is home to the Elm Fork Filtration Plant and the A W Perry Homestead Museum as well as Thomas Park and Hebron High School Baseball Field.