Career and Education Opportunities for Florists in Carrollton, Texas
Florist career and educational opportunities abound in Carrollton, Texas. Currently, 5,460 people work as florists in Texas. This is expected to grow 17% to 6,380 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for florists, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 2.5% over the next eight years. In general, florists design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Florists earn about $10 per hour or $21,690 per year on average in Texas and about $11 hourly or $23,230 annually on average nationally. Incomes for florists are not quite as good as in the overall category of Art and Design in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Art and Design category nationally. People working as florists can fill a number of jobs, such as: floral arranger, floral designer salesperson, and design maker.
The Carrollton area is home to ninety-five schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Carrollton where you can get a degree as a florist. Given that the most common education level for florists is less than a high school diploma, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a florist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Florist
In general, florists design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Florists talk with clients regarding price and type of arrangements desired and the date, time, and place of delivery. They also inform customers about the care and handling of various flowers and foliage and other items. Equally important, florists have to arrange bouquets, wreaths and other items. They are often called upon to wrap and price completed arrangements. They are expected to decide on flora and foliage for arrangements, working with numerous combinations to synthesize and design new creations. Finally, florists perform office and retail service duties such as keeping financial records, serving customers, answering telephones, selling giftware items and receiving payment.
Every day, florists are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to distinguish between colors.
It is important for florists to decorate or supervise the decoration of buildings or other facilities for parties, weddings and other occasions. They are often called upon to conduct classes or demonstrations, or train other staff. Somewhat less frequently, florists are also expected to perform general cleaning duties in the store to insure the shop is clean and tidy.
and grow flowers for use in arrangements or for sale in shop. And finally, they sometimes have to unpack stock as it comes into the shop.
Like many other jobs, florists must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Carrollton include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Florist Training
Richland College - Dallas, TX
Richland College, 12800 Abrams Rd, Dallas, TX 75243-2199. Richland College is a large college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,917 students. Richland College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Carrollton, Texas
Carrollton is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 125,595, which has grown by 14.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Carrollton, 90, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Carrollton are valued at $265,200 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-seven new homes were constructed in Carrollton, down from one hundred ninety-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Carrollton are educational services, finance and insurance, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 37.0% of Carrollton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Carrollton is 7.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Carrollton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Primera Iglesia Bautista Hispana Church, Redeemer Covenant Church and Christian Life Assembly of God Church are all churches located in Carrollton. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Carrollton is home to the Elm Fork Filtration Plant and the A W Perry Homestead Museum as well as Thomas Park and Hebron High School Baseball Field.