Career and Education Opportunities for Middle School Teachers in Brownsville, Texas
There are many career and education opportunities for middle school teachers in the Brownsville, Texas area. About 74,370 people are currently employed as middle school teachers in Texas. By 2016, this is expected to grow 40% to about 104,040 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for middle school teachers are expected to grow by about 15.3%. Middle school teachers generally teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
The average wage in the general category of Primary and Secondary School Education jobs is $9 per hour or $42,991 per year in Texas, and an average of $11 per hour or $45,804 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education, people working as middle school teachers in Texas earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education nationally. People working as middle school teachers can fill a number of jobs, such as: visual arts teacher, english language arts teacher , and grades 7 and 8 visiting teacher.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Brownsville where you can study to be a middle school teacher, among ten schools of higher education total in the Brownsville area. The most common level of education for middle school teachers is a Bachelor's degree. It will take about four years to learn to be a middle school teacher if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Middle School Teacher
In general, middle school teachers teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
Middle school teachers attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees, as required. They also meet with other professionals to consider individual students' needs and progress. Equally important, middle school teachers have to establish and enforce rules for behavior and methods for maintaining order among students. They are often called upon to adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests. They are expected to attend professional meetings and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence. Finally, middle school teachers instruct and monitor students in the use and up keep of equipment and materials to inhibit injury and damage.
Every day, middle school teachers are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for middle school teachers to sponsor extracurricular efforts such as clubs and academic contests. They are often called upon to organize and supervise games and other recreational activities to promote physical and social development. They also ready materials and classrooms for class efforts. They are sometimes expected to furnish disabled students with assistive devices and assistance accessing facilities, such as restrooms. Somewhat less frequently, middle school teachers are also expected to maintain accurate and correct student records as required by laws and administrative regulations.
Middle school teachers sometimes are asked to establish clear objectives for all lessons and projects, and communicate these objectives to students. They also have to be able to get ready for assigned classes and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisors and meet with parents and guardians to consider their children's progress, and to establish their priorities for their children and their resource needs. And finally, they sometimes have to perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading.
Like many other jobs, middle school teachers must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Brownsville include:
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Preschool Teacher. Instruct children (normally up to 5 years of age) in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. May be required to hold State certification.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Middle School Teacher Training
The University of Texas-Pan American - Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas-Pan American, 1201 W University Dr, Edinburg, TX 78539-2999. The University of Texas-Pan American is a large university located in Edinburg, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,584 students and an admission rate of 64%. The University of Texas-Pan American has 2 areas of study related to Middle School Teacher. They are:
- Mathematics Teacher Education, master's degree.
- Reading Teacher Education, master's degree which graduated 21 students in 2008.
The University of Texas at Brownsville - Brownsville, TX
The University of Texas at Brownsville, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520-4991. The University of Texas at Brownsville is a medium sized university located in Brownsville, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 17,309 students. The University of Texas at Brownsville has 2 areas of study related to Middle School Teacher. They are:
- Music Teacher Education, master's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Reading Teacher Education, master's degree.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Brownsville, Texas
Brownsville is situated in Cameron County, Texas. It has a population of over 175,494, which has grown by 25.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Brownsville, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Brownsville cost $102,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, four hundred sixty-four new homes were constructed in Brownsville, down from eight hundred sixty-one the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Brownsville are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 20 minutes. More than 13.4% of Brownsville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Brownsville is 10.8%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Brownsville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 52.8%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. El Calvario Lutheran Church, Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana Church and Church of Christ are some of the churches located in Brownsville. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Brownsville is home to the Resaca de la Palma Battlefield and the Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard as well as Friendship Gardens and Washington Park. Visitors to Brownsville can choose from Best Western Rose Garden Inn, Comfort Inn and Best Value Colonial Hotel for temporary stays in the area.