Career and Education Opportunities for English Professors in Brownsville, Texas
English professor career and educational opportunities abound in Brownsville, Texas. In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. English professors earn less than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in Texas and less than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as english professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: college professor, college or university faculty member, and liberal arts and humanities chair.
The Brownsville area is home to ten schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Brownsville where you can get a degree as an english professor. Given that the most common education level for english professors is a Master's degree, it will take about six years to learn to be an english professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: English Professor
In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
English professors initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They also evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. Equally important, english professors have to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to maintain student attendance records and other required records. Finally, english professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as poetry and translation and adaptation.
Every day, english professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for english professors to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They are often called upon to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They also participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are sometimes expected to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. Somewhat less frequently, english professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
English professors sometimes are asked to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students. They also have to be able to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish assistance to students in college writing centers.
Like many other jobs, english professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Brownsville include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: English Professor Training
The University of Texas-Pan American - Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas-Pan American, 1201 W University Dr, Edinburg, TX 78539-2999. The University of Texas-Pan American is a large university located in Edinburg, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,584 students and an admission rate of 64%. The University of Texas-Pan American has 2 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated thirteen and nine students respectively in 2008.
- Creative Writing, master's degree.
The University of Texas at Brownsville - Brownsville, TX
The University of Texas at Brownsville, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520-4991. The University of Texas at Brownsville is a medium sized university located in Brownsville, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 17,309 students. The University of Texas at Brownsville has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated thirty-one and two students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Brownsville, Texas
Brownsville is situated in Cameron County, Texas. It has a population of over 175,494, which has grown by 25.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Brownsville, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Brownsville cost $102,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, four hundred sixty-four new homes were constructed in Brownsville, down from eight hundred sixty-one the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Brownsville are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 20 minutes. More than 13.4% of Brownsville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Brownsville is 10.8%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Brownsville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 52.8%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. El Calvario Lutheran Church, Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana Church and Church of Christ are some of the churches located in Brownsville. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Brownsville is home to the Resaca de la Palma Battlefield and the Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard as well as Friendship Gardens and Washington Park. Visitors to Brownsville can choose from Best Western Rose Garden Inn, Comfort Inn and Best Value Colonial Hotel for temporary stays in the area.