Career and Education Opportunities for Cost Analysts in Brownsville, Texas
For those living in the Brownsville, Texas area, there are many career and education opportunities for cost analysts. Currently, 15,070 people work as cost analysts in Texas. This is expected to grow by 29% to about 19,360 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for cost analysts, which sees this job pool growing by about 25.3% over the next eight years. In general, cost analysts prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service.
The income of a cost analyst is about $26 hourly or $55,070 annually on average in Texas. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $27 hourly or $56,510 yearly on average. Cost analysts earn more than people working in the category of Adjustment and Analysis generally in Texas and more than people in the Adjustment and Analysis category nationally. Jobs in this field include: estimator, job estimator, and environmental marketing specialist.
There are ten schools of higher education in the Brownsville area, including four within twenty-five miles of Brownsville where you can get a degree to start your career as a cost analyst. Given that the most common education level for cost analysts is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a cost analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cost Analyst
In general, cost analysts prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. They also may specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
Cost analysts confer with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments or construction foremen to consider and formulate estimates and resolve issues. They also talk with engineers, architects, owners, and contractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates. Equally important, cost analysts have to analyze blueprints and other documentation to ready time and labor estimates. They are often called upon to ready estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors. They are expected to ready estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work. Finally, cost analysts ready cost and expenditure statements and other needed documentation at regular intervals for the duration of projects.
Every day, cost analysts are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to deal with basic arithmetic problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for cost analysts to ready and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors. They are often called upon to establish and maintain tendering process, and conduct negotiations. Somewhat less frequently, cost analysts are also expected to visit site and record data related to access, drainage and topography, and availability of services such as water and electricity.
Cost analysts sometimes are asked to visit site and record data related to access, drainage and topography, and availability of services such as water and electricity. And finally, they sometimes have to prepare cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
Like many other jobs, cost analysts must be thorough and dependable and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Brownsville include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Business Management Analyst. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Coroner. Direct activities such as autopsies, pathological and toxicological analyses, and inquests relating to the investigation of deaths occurring within a legal jurisdiction to determine cause of death or to fix responsibility for accidental, violent, or unexplained deaths.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Emergency Management Coordinator. Coordinate disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural, wartime, or technological disasters or hostage situations.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cost Analyst Training
Texas Southmost College - Brownsville, TX
Texas Southmost College, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520. Texas Southmost College is a large college located in Brownsville, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs. Texas Southmost College has an associate's degree program in Business/Commerce which graduated sixty-six students in 2008.
The University of Texas-Pan American - Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas-Pan American, 1201 W University Dr, Edinburg, TX 78539-2999. The University of Texas-Pan American is a large university located in Edinburg, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,584 students and an admission rate of 64%. The University of Texas-Pan American has 3 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Mechanical Engineering, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated sixty-two and five students respectively in 2008.
- Manufacturing Engineering, master's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated zero and fifty-four students respectively in 2008.
Texas State Technical College Harlingen - Harlingen, TX
Texas State Technical College Harlingen, 1902 North Loop 499, Harlingen, TX 78550-3697. Texas State Technical College Harlingen is a medium sized college located in Harlingen, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,477 students. Texas State Technical College Harlingen has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Construction Engineering Technology/Technician which graduated three and eleven students respectively in 2008.
The University of Texas at Brownsville - Brownsville, TX
The University of Texas at Brownsville, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520-4991. The University of Texas at Brownsville is a medium sized university located in Brownsville, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 17,309 students. The University of Texas at Brownsville has 2 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Business/Commerce, bachelor's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated seventy-eight and eighteen students respectively in 2008.
Certified Professional Estimator: The American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE) has been certifying construction estimators for over thirty years.
For more information, see the American Society of Professional Estimators website.
Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist: CAMS certification is rrecognized by employers in both private industry and government.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists website.
Certified Investment Management Analyst: The CIMA offers an intense educational experience focusing on asset allocation, manager search and selection, investment policy and performance measurement.
For more information, see the Investment Management Consultants Association website.
Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst : The Society's Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst (CCE/A) program provides a professional credential to SCEA members and nonmembers who demonstrate mastery of basic concepts and methods.
For more information, see the Society of Cost Estimating and Analysis website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Brownsville, Texas
Brownsville is situated in Cameron County, Texas. It has a population of over 175,494, which has grown by 25.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Brownsville, 78, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Brownsville cost $102,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, four hundred sixty-four new homes were constructed in Brownsville, down from eight hundred sixty-one the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Brownsville are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 20 minutes. More than 13.4% of Brownsville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Brownsville is 10.8%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Brownsville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 52.8%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. El Calvario Lutheran Church, Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana Church and Church of Christ are some of the churches located in Brownsville. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Brownsville is home to the Resaca de la Palma Battlefield and the Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard as well as Friendship Gardens and Washington Park. Visitors to Brownsville can choose from Best Western Rose Garden Inn, Comfort Inn and Best Value Colonial Hotel for temporary stays in the area.