Career and Education Opportunities for Credit Investigators in Arlington, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for credit investigators in the Arlington, Texas area. There are currently 5,960 working credit investigators in Texas; this should shrink 4% to about 5,720 working credit investigators in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for credit investigators, which sees this job pool growing by about 2.8% over the next eight years. Credit investigators generally investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit.
Income for credit investigators is about $14 hourly or $30,110 yearly on average in Texas. Nationally, their income is about $14 hourly or $30,390 annually. Earnings for credit investigators are better than earnings in the general category of Credit Authorization in Texas and better than general Credit Authorization category earnings nationally.
The Arlington area is home to eighty-seven schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Arlington where you can get a degree as a credit investigator. The most common level of education for credit investigators is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a credit investigator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Credit Investigator
In general, credit investigators investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. They also telephone or write to credit departments of business and service establishments to obtain information about applicant's credit standing.
Every day, credit investigators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for credit investigators to ready reports of findings and recommendations, using typewriters or computers. They are often called upon to obtain data related to potential creditors from banks and other credit services, and furnish reciprocal data if requested. They also interview credit applicants by telephone or in person so as to obtain personal and financial data needed to finish credit report. Somewhat less frequently, credit investigators are also expected to examine city directories and public archives in order to confirm residence property ownership or unpaid taxes of applicants.
Credit investigators sometimes are asked to contact former employers and other acquaintances to confirm applicants' references and social behavior. They also have to be able to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone And finally, they sometimes have to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone.
Like many other jobs, credit investigators must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Arlington include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Customer Care Specialist. Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services and to handle and resolve complaints.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Insurance Processing Clerk. Process applications for, changes to, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
- Interviewer. Interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires. Ask specific questions, record answers, and assist persons with completing form. May sort, classify, and file forms.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Credit Investigator Training
The University of Texas at Arlington - Arlington, TX
The University of Texas at Arlington, 701 S. Nedderman Dr., Arlington, TX 76013. The University of Texas at Arlington is a large university located in Arlington, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 25,070 students and an admission rate of 56%. The University of Texas at Arlington has a bachelor's degree and a doctor's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated 210 and five students respectively in 2008.
Northwood University - Cedar Hill, TX
Northwood University, 1114 W FM 1382, Cedar Hill, TX 75104-1204. Northwood University is a small university located in Cedar Hill, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 864 students and an admission rate of 55%. Northwood University has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated five and six students respectively in 2008.
North Lake College - Irving, TX
North Lake College, 5001 N MacArthur Blvd, Irving, TX 75038-3899. North Lake College is a large college located in Irving, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,174 students. North Lake College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated two and five students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Arlington, Texas
Arlington is located in Tarrant County, Texas. It has a population of over 374,417, which has grown by 12.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Arlington, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Arlington are priced at $154,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, four hundred twenty-six new homes were constructed in Arlington, down from eight hundred twelve the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Arlington are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 30.4% of Arlington residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Arlington is 7.5%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Arlington residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 52.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Advent Lutheran Church, Pleasantview Baptist Church and Central Assembly of God Church are some of the churches located in Arlington. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Arlington is home to the Festival Marketplace and the The Parks at Arlington as well as Arlington Tennis Center - University of Texas and Doug Russel Park. Visitors to Arlington can choose from Budget Host International, Baymont Inns & Suites and Candlewood Suites for temporary stays in the area.