Career and Education Opportunities for Statement Clerks in Amarillo, Texas
There are many career and education opportunities for statement clerks in the Amarillo, Texas area. The national trend for statement clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Statement clerks earn about $14 per hour or $29,720 yearly on average in Texas and about $14 per hour or $30,950 per year on average nationally. Earnings for statement clerks are better than earnings in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Texas and better than general Billing and Bookkeeping category earnings nationally.
The Amarillo area is home to six schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Amarillo where you can get a degree as a statement clerk. The most common level of education for statement clerks is some college courses. You can expect to spend a short time training to become a statement clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Statement Clerk
In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Every day, statement clerks are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for statement clerks to match statements with batches of canceled checks by account numbers. They are often called upon to compare previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, and reconcile discrepancies. They also fix minor problems, such as equipment jams, and notify repair personnel of major equipment problems. They are sometimes expected to route statements for mailing or over-the-counter delivery to customers. Somewhat less frequently, statement clerks are also expected to retrieve checks returned to customers in error, adjusting customer accounts and answering inquiries about errors as needed.
They also have to be able to weigh envelopes containing statements in order to establish correct postage and affix postage using stamps or metering equipment and verify signatures and required data on checks. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain files of canceled checks and customers' signatures.
Like many other jobs, statement clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Amarillo include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Statement Clerk Training
Amarillo College - Amarillo, TX
Amarillo College, 2011 S. Washington, Amarillo, TX 79109. Amarillo College is a large college located in Amarillo, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,118 students. Amarillo College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one student in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Amarillo, Texas
Amarillo is situated in Potter County, Texas. It has a population of over 187,236, which has grown by 7.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Amarillo, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Amarillo are priced at $245,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, four hundred seventy-one new homes were constructed in Amarillo, down from six hundred forty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Amarillo are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and food. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 20.5% of Amarillo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Amarillo is 5.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Amarillo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 86.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Pentecostal Church of God in Christ and Pentecostal Holiness Church are among the churches located in Amarillo. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Amarillo is home to the Amarillo Globe Dream House and the Wolflin Historic District as well as Martin Road Park and Will Rogers Park. Shopping malls in the area include Western Plaza Shopping Center and Westgate Shopping Center. Visitors to Amarillo can choose from 3B Machine & Custom Fabrication, Bailey's Lounge and Comfort Inn Airport for temporary stays in the area.