Career and Education Opportunities for Market Survey Representatives in Amarillo, Texas
For those living in the Amarillo, Texas area, there are many career and education opportunities for market survey representatives. There are currently 670 jobs for market survey representatives in Texas and this is projected to grow 17% to about 780 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for market survey representatives are expected to grow by about 30.4%. In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys.
Market survey representatives earn approximately $13 hourly or $28,930 per year on average in Texas. Nationally they average about $17 per hour or $36,220 yearly. Earnings for market survey representatives are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Social Sciences in Texas and not quite as good as general Social Sciences category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: pollster, research interviewer, and research associate.
There are six schools of higher education in the Amarillo area, including one within twenty-five miles of Amarillo where you can get a degree to start your career as a market survey representative. Market survey representatives usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a market survey representative if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Survey Representative
In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys. They also may supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone.
Market survey representatives collaborate with other researchers in the planning and evaluation of surveys. They also ready and present summaries and analyses of survey data and fact sheets that describe survey techniques and results. Equally important, market survey representatives have to analyze data from surveys or case studies, using statistical software. They are often called upon to monitor and evaluate survey progress and performance, using sample disposition reports and response rate calculations. They are expected to conduct surveys and collect data, using methods such as interviews, questionnaires, focus groups, market analysis surveys, public opinion polls and file reviews. Finally, market survey representatives confer with clients to pinpoint survey needs and specific requirements.
Every day, market survey representatives are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for market survey representatives to decide on and specify specifics of survey projects, including sources of data, procedures to be used, and the layout of survey instruments and materials. They are often called upon to support and direct operations for single or multiple surveys. They also direct updates and changes in survey implementation and methods. They are sometimes expected to hire and train recruiters and data collectors. Somewhat less frequently, market survey representatives are also expected to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
and produce documentation of data collection methods and decisions pertaining to sample statistical weighting. And finally, they sometimes have to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
Like many other jobs, market survey representatives must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Amarillo include:
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Survey Representative Training
West Texas A & M University - Canyon, TX
West Texas A & M University, 2501 4th Ave, Canyon, TX 79016-0001. West Texas A & M University is a medium sized university located in Canyon, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,552 students and an admission rate of 66%. West Texas A & M University has 2 areas of study related to Market Survey Representative. They are:
- Economics, bachelor's degree.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree.
Certified Forensic Interviewer: The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer's knowledge of those standards.
For more information, see the Center for Interviewer Standards and Assessment Ltd. website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Amarillo, Texas
Amarillo is situated in Potter County, Texas. It has a population of over 187,236, which has grown by 7.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Amarillo, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Amarillo are priced at $245,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, four hundred seventy-one new homes were constructed in Amarillo, down from six hundred forty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Amarillo are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and food. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 20.5% of Amarillo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Amarillo is 5.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Amarillo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 86.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Pentecostal Church of God in Christ and Pentecostal Holiness Church are among the churches located in Amarillo. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Amarillo is home to the Amarillo Globe Dream House and the Wolflin Historic District as well as Martin Road Park and Will Rogers Park. Shopping malls in the area include Western Plaza Shopping Center and Westgate Shopping Center. Visitors to Amarillo can choose from 3B Machine & Custom Fabrication, Bailey's Lounge and Comfort Inn Airport for temporary stays in the area.