Career and Education Opportunities for Food Science Technicians in Amarillo, Texas
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for food science technicians in the Amarillo, Texas area. There are currently 3,510 jobs for food science technicians in Texas and this is projected to grow 19% to about 4,170 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for food science technicians are expected to grow by about 8.8%. Food science technicians generally perform standardized qualitative and quantitative tests to determine physical or chemical properties of food or beverage products.
A person working as a food science technician can expect to earn about $14 per hour or $31,120 per year on average in Texas and about $16 per hour or $33,990 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Life Science Technical, people working as food science technicians in Texas earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Life Science Technical nationally. People working as food science technicians can fill a number of jobs, such as: scientist, hazard analysis and critical control point coordinator , and quality assurance analyst .
There are six schools of higher education in the Amarillo area, including two within twenty-five miles of Amarillo where you can get a degree to start your career as a food science technician. The most common level of education for food science technicians is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years training to become a food science technician if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Food Science Technician
In general, food science technicians perform standardized qualitative and quantitative tests to determine physical or chemical properties of food or beverage products.
Food science technicians record and compile test results, and ready graphs, charts, and reports. Finally, food science technicians analyze test results to classify products, or compare results with standard tables.
Every day, food science technicians are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for food science technicians to compute moisture or salt content, percentages of ingredients or other product factors, using mathematical and chemical procedures. They are often called upon to taste or smell foods or beverages to insure that flavors meet specifications, or to decide on samples with specific characteristics. They also furnish assistance to food scientists and technologists in research and development and quality control. They are sometimes expected to conduct standardized tests on food and preservatives to insure adherence to standards and regulations regarding factors such as color and nutrients. Somewhat less frequently, food science technicians are also expected to mix or cultivate ingredients to make reagents or to manufacture food or beverage products.
Food science technicians sometimes are asked to examine chemical and biological samples to pinpoint cell structures and to identify bacteria, or extraneous material, using a microscope. and measure and weigh bottles, cans, and other containers to insure hardness and dimensions that meet specifications. And finally, they sometimes have to analyze test results to classify products, or compare results with standard tables.
Like many other jobs, food science technicians must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Amarillo include:
- Agricultural Technician. Set up and maintain laboratory equipment and collect samples from crops or animals. Prepare specimens and record data to assist scientist in biology or related science experiments.
- Chemist. Conduct qualitative and quantitative chemical analyses or chemical experiments in laboratories for quality or process control or to develop new products or knowledge.
- Environmental Health and Safety Specialist. Conduct research or perform investigation for the purpose of identifying, abating, or eliminating sources of pollutants or hazards that affect either the environment or the health of the population. Utilizing knowledge of various scientific disciplines may collect, synthesize, and take action based on data derived from measurements or observations of air, food, and other sources.
- Environmental Technician. Perform laboratory and field tests to monitor the environment and investigate sources of pollution, including those that affect health. Under direction of an environmental scientist or specialist, may collect samples of gases, soil, and other materials for testing and take corrective actions as assigned.
- Food Technologist. Use chemistry, microbiology, and other sciences to study the principles underlying the processing and deterioration of foods; analyze food content to determine levels of vitamins, fat, and protein; discover new food sources; research ways to make processed foods safe, palatable, and healthful; and apply food science knowledge to determine best ways to process, package, and distribute food.
- Soil Scientist. Conduct research in breeding, physiology, and management of crops and agricultural plants, their growth in soils, and control of pests; or study the chemical, physical, and mineralogical composition of soils as they relate to plant or crop growth. May classify and map soils and investigate effects of alternative practices on soil and crop productivity.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Food Science Technician Training
Frank Phillips College - Borger, TX
Frank Phillips College, 1301 W. Roosevelt St., Borger, TX 79008-5118. Frank Phillips College is a small college located in Borger, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,244 students. Frank Phillips College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Animal/Livestock Husbandry and Production which graduated four and zero students respectively in 2008.
West Texas A & M University - Canyon, TX
West Texas A & M University, 2501 4th Ave, Canyon, TX 79016-0001. West Texas A & M University is a medium sized university located in Canyon, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,552 students and an admission rate of 66%. West Texas A & M University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Animal Sciences which graduated one and four students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Amarillo, Texas
Amarillo is situated in Potter County, Texas. It has a population of over 187,236, which has grown by 7.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Amarillo, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Amarillo are priced at $245,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, four hundred seventy-one new homes were constructed in Amarillo, down from six hundred forty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Amarillo are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and food. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 20.5% of Amarillo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Amarillo is 5.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Amarillo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 86.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Pentecostal Church of God in Christ and Pentecostal Holiness Church are among the churches located in Amarillo. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Amarillo is home to the Amarillo Globe Dream House and the Wolflin Historic District as well as Martin Road Park and Will Rogers Park. Shopping malls in the area include Western Plaza Shopping Center and Westgate Shopping Center. Visitors to Amarillo can choose from 3B Machine & Custom Fabrication, Bailey's Lounge and Comfort Inn Airport for temporary stays in the area.