Career and Education Opportunities for Art Directors in Amarillo, Texas
Art directors can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Amarillo, Texas area. About 4,130 people are currently employed as art directors in Texas. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 13% to 4,680 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for art directors are expected to grow by about 11.7%. Art directors generally formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Art directors earn about $33 per hour or $70,430 yearly on average in Texas and about $37 per hour or $76,980 annually on average nationally. Art directors earn more than people working in the category of Art and Design generally in Texas and more than people in the Art and Design category nationally. People working as art directors can fill a number of jobs, such as: arts manager, arts administrator, and art supervisor.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Amarillo where you can study to be an art director, among six schools of higher education total in the Amarillo area. The most common level of education for art directors is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree. You can expect to spend about two years studying to be an art director if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Art Director
In general, art directors formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Art directors formulate basic layout designs and presentation approaches and specify material details, such as style and size of type. They also talk with creative or production department heads to consider client requirements and presentation concepts and to direct creative efforts. Equally important, art directors have to develop custom illustrations or other graphic elements. They are often called upon to inspect and approve art materials and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members. They are expected to inspect illustrative material to establish if it conforms to standards and specifications. Finally, art directors talk with clients to establish objectives and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
Every day, art directors are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for art directors to mark up and complete layouts and write typography instructions to ready materials for typesetting or printing. They are often called upon to hire and direct staff members who develop layout concepts into art layouts or who ready layouts for printing. They also oversee own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements. They are sometimes expected to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained. Somewhat less frequently, art directors are also expected to ready detailed storyboards showing sequence and timing of story development for television production.
Art directors sometimes are asked to negotiate with printers and estimators to establish what services will be performed. and coordinate with creative directors to optimize layout solutions. And finally, they sometimes have to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained.
Like many other jobs, art directors must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Amarillo include:
- Audio Visual Technician. Set up or set up and operate audio and video equipment including microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, connecting wires and cables, sound and mixing boards, and related electronic equipment for concerts, sports events, meetings and conventions, presentations, and news conferences. May also set up and operate associated spotlights and other custom lighting systems.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- Public Relations Specialist. Engage in promoting or creating good will for individuals, groups, or organizations by writing or selecting favorable publicity material and releasing it through various communications media. May prepare and arrange displays, and make speeches.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Art Director Training
Amarillo College - Amarillo, TX
Amarillo College, 2011 S. Washington, Amarillo, TX 79109. Amarillo College is a large college located in Amarillo, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,118 students. Amarillo College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated one and twelve students respectively in 2008.
West Texas A & M University - Canyon, TX
West Texas A & M University, 2501 4th Ave, Canyon, TX 79016-0001. West Texas A & M University is a medium sized university located in Canyon, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,552 students and an admission rate of 66%. West Texas A & M University has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated twelve students in 2008.
Certified Graphic Communication Manager: The In-Plant Printing and Mailing Association's (IPMA) Certified Graphic Communications Manager (CGCM) designation was created in 1976 to establish a professional standard of proficiency for the in-house graphic arts and printing management profession.
For more information, see the International Publishing Management Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Amarillo, Texas
Amarillo is situated in Potter County, Texas. It has a population of over 187,236, which has grown by 7.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Amarillo, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Amarillo are priced at $245,400 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, four hundred seventy-one new homes were constructed in Amarillo, down from six hundred forty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Amarillo are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and food. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 20.5% of Amarillo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Amarillo is 5.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Amarillo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 86.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Pentecostal Church of God in Christ and Pentecostal Holiness Church are among the churches located in Amarillo. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Amarillo is home to the Amarillo Globe Dream House and the Wolflin Historic District as well as Martin Road Park and Will Rogers Park. Shopping malls in the area include Western Plaza Shopping Center and Westgate Shopping Center. Visitors to Amarillo can choose from 3B Machine & Custom Fabrication, Bailey's Lounge and Comfort Inn Airport for temporary stays in the area.