Career and Education Opportunities for Statement Clerks in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
If you want to be a statement clerk, the Murfreesboro, Tennessee area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for statement clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. Statement clerks generally prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Statement clerks earn approximately $14 per hour or $29,130 per year on average in Tennessee. Nationally they average about $14 per hour or $30,950 annually. Statement clerks earn more than people working in the category of Billing and Bookkeeping generally in Tennessee and more than people in the Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Murfreesboro where you can study to be a statement clerk, among forty-five schools of higher education total in the Murfreesboro area. The most common level of education for statement clerks is some college courses. You can expect to spend a short time training to become a statement clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Statement Clerk
In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Every day, statement clerks are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for statement clerks to match statements with batches of canceled checks by account numbers. They are often called upon to compare previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, and reconcile discrepancies. They also fix minor problems, such as equipment jams, and notify repair personnel of major equipment problems. They are sometimes expected to route statements for mailing or over-the-counter delivery to customers. Somewhat less frequently, statement clerks are also expected to retrieve checks returned to customers in error, adjusting customer accounts and answering inquiries about errors as needed.
They also have to be able to weigh envelopes containing statements in order to establish correct postage and affix postage using stamps or metering equipment and verify signatures and required data on checks. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain files of canceled checks and customers' signatures.
Like many other jobs, statement clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Murfreesboro include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Statement Clerk Training
Nashville State Technical Community College - Nashville, TN
Nashville State Technical Community College, 120 White Bridge Rd, Nashville, TN 37209-4515. Nashville State Technical Community College is a medium sized college located in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 7,716 students and an admission rate of 71%. Nashville State Technical Community College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated sixteen students in 2008.
National College of Business and Technology-Nashville - Nashville, TN
National College of Business and Technology-Nashville, 3748 Nolensville Pk, Nashville, TN 37211. National College of Business and Technology-Nashville is a small college located in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,353 students. National College of Business and Technology-Nashville has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated zero and three students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Nashville - Nashville, TN
ITT Technical Institute-Nashville, 2845 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN 37214-3717. ITT Technical Institute-Nashville is a small school located in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,057 students and an admission rate of 53%. ITT Technical Institute-Nashville has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Murfreesboro is situated in Rutherford County, Tennessee. It has a population of over 101,753, which has grown by 47.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Murfreesboro, 85, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Murfreesboro are valued at $145,900 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-nine new homes were constructed in Murfreesboro, down from 1,157 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Murfreesboro are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 30.8% of Murfreesboro residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Murfreesboro is 9.6%, which is less than Tennessee's average of 10.2%.
The percentage of Murfreesboro residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.6%, is less than both the national and state average. Central Christian Church, Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church and Saint Pauls Episcopal Church are some of the churches located in Murfreesboro. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Churches of Christ and the United Methodist Church.
Murfreesboro is home to the Clement Hall and the Military Park Brannons Redoubt as well as Old Fort Park and Jones Field. Shopping malls in the area include Northside Plaza Shopping Center, Northfield Crossing Shopping Center and Northfield Court Shopping Center. Visitors to Murfreesboro can choose from Doubletree Hotel Murfeesboro, Best Western Chaffin Inn and Hampton Inn Motel Fax Line for temporary stays in the area.