Career and Education Opportunities for Payroll Machine Operators in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for payroll machine operators in the Murfreesboro, Tennessee area. The national trend for payroll machine operators sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data.
The income of a payroll machine operator is about $14 per hour or $29,130 per year on average in Tennessee. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $14 per hour or $30,950 annually on average. Payroll machine operators earn more than people working in the category of Billing and Bookkeeping generally in Tennessee and more than people in the Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are forty-five schools of higher education in the Murfreesboro area, including three within twenty-five miles of Murfreesboro where you can get a degree to start your career as a payroll machine operator. Payroll machine operators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a payroll machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Payroll Machine Operator
In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. They also duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
Every day, payroll machine operators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to prioritize information for further consideration. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for payroll machine operators to enter into machines all data needed for bill generation. They are often called upon to clean machines, and remove ribbons, film, and tape. They also reconcile and post receipts for cash received by various departments. They are sometimes expected to operate bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile archives of transactions. Somewhat less frequently, payroll machine operators are also expected to compute payroll and retirement amounts, applying knowledge of payroll deductions and survivor allowances.
Payroll machine operators sometimes are asked to operate special billing machines to ready statements and invoices. and assign purchase order numbers to invoices and formal and informal bids. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and verify requisition, production and other reports which require specialized knowledge in selecting the totals used.
Like many other jobs, payroll machine operators must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Murfreesboro include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Payroll Machine Operator Training
Nashville State Technical Community College - Nashville, TN
Nashville State Technical Community College, 120 White Bridge Rd, Nashville, TN 37209-4515. Nashville State Technical Community College is a medium sized college located in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 7,716 students and an admission rate of 71%. Nashville State Technical Community College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated sixteen students in 2008.
National College of Business and Technology-Nashville - Nashville, TN
National College of Business and Technology-Nashville, 3748 Nolensville Pk, Nashville, TN 37211. National College of Business and Technology-Nashville is a small college located in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,353 students. National College of Business and Technology-Nashville has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated zero and three students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Nashville - Nashville, TN
ITT Technical Institute-Nashville, 2845 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN 37214-3717. ITT Technical Institute-Nashville is a small school located in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,057 students and an admission rate of 53%. ITT Technical Institute-Nashville has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Murfreesboro is situated in Rutherford County, Tennessee. It has a population of over 101,753, which has grown by 47.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Murfreesboro, 85, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Murfreesboro are valued at $145,900 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-nine new homes were constructed in Murfreesboro, down from 1,157 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Murfreesboro are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 30.8% of Murfreesboro residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Murfreesboro is 9.6%, which is less than Tennessee's average of 10.2%.
The percentage of Murfreesboro residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.6%, is less than both the national and state average. Central Christian Church, Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church and Saint Pauls Episcopal Church are some of the churches located in Murfreesboro. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Churches of Christ and the United Methodist Church.
Murfreesboro is home to the Clement Hall and the Military Park Brannons Redoubt as well as Old Fort Park and Jones Field. Shopping malls in the area include Northside Plaza Shopping Center, Northfield Crossing Shopping Center and Northfield Court Shopping Center. Visitors to Murfreesboro can choose from Doubletree Hotel Murfeesboro, Best Western Chaffin Inn and Hampton Inn Motel Fax Line for temporary stays in the area.