Career and Education Opportunities for Graphic Designers in Knoxville, Tennessee
If you want to be a graphic designer, the Knoxville, Tennessee area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. There are currently 4,360 jobs for graphic designers in Tennessee and this is projected to grow 2% to 4,460 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for graphic designers, which sees this job pool growing by about 12.9% over the next eight years. Graphic designers generally design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos.
Graphic designers earn about $17 hourly or $36,320 annually on average in Tennessee and about $20 per hour or $42,400 per year on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as graphic designers in Tennessee earn more. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. People working as graphic designers can fill a number of jobs, such as: advertising layout worker, graphic designer/production, and commerical artist.
The Knoxville area is home to fifteen schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Knoxville where you can get a degree as a graphic designer. Given that the most common education level for graphic designers is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a graphic designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graphic Designer
In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. They also may use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
Graphic designers develop designs and sample layouts on the basis of knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts. They also maintain archives of images or previous work products. Equally important, graphic designers have to design negatives and prints to produce layout photographs, using negative and print developing equipment and tools. They are often called upon to use computer software to generate new images. They are expected to design graphics and layouts for product illustrations and Internet websites. Finally, graphic designers key data into computer equipment to generate layouts for clients or supervisors.
Every day, graphic designers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for graphic designers to mark up and assemble final layouts to ready layouts for printer. They are often called upon to produce still and animated graphics for on-air and taped portions of television news broadcasts, using electronic video equipment. They also research new software or layout concepts. They are sometimes expected to talk with clients to consider and decide on layout design. Somewhat less frequently, graphic designers are also expected to photograph layouts, using camera, to make layout prints for supervisors or clients.
Graphic designers sometimes are asked to inspect final layouts and suggest improvements as needed. And finally, they sometimes have to ready notes and instructions for staff who assemble and ready final layouts for printing.
Like many other jobs, graphic designers must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Knoxville include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graphic Designer Training
ITT Technical Institute-Knoxville - Knoxville, TN
ITT Technical Institute-Knoxville, 10208 Technology Dr, Knoxville, TN 37932. ITT Technical Institute-Knoxville is a small school located in Knoxville, Tennessee. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 998 students and an admission rate of 57%. ITT Technical Institute-Knoxville has 2 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree which graduated 23 students in 2008.
- Design and Visual Communications, associate's degree.
Pellissippi State Technical Community College - Knoxville, TN
Pellissippi State Technical Community College, 10915 Hardin Valley Road, Knoxville, TN 37933-0990. Pellissippi State Technical Community College is a medium sized college located in Knoxville, Tennessee. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 8,742 students and an admission rate of 89%. Pellissippi State Technical Community College has 2 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Commercial and Advertising Art, associate's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
Carson-Newman College - Jefferson City, TN
Carson-Newman College, 1646 S Russell Ave, Jefferson City, TN 37760. Carson-Newman College is a small college located in Jefferson City, Tennessee. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,032 students and an admission rate of 71%. Carson-Newman College has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated two students in 2008.
The University of Tennessee - Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee, Circle Park, Knoxville, TN 37996. The University of Tennessee is a large university located in Knoxville, Tennessee. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 30,406 students and an admission rate of 71%. The University of Tennessee has a bachelor's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated seventeen students in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Knoxville, Tennessee
Knoxville is located in Knox County, Tennessee. It has a population of over 184,802, which has grown by 6.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Knoxville, 84, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Knoxville are valued at $105,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, two hundred forty-one new homes were built in Knoxville, down from six hundred twenty-seven the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Knoxville are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 20 minutes. More than 24.6% of Knoxville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Knoxville is 9.0%, which is less than Tennessee's average of 10.2%.
The percentage of Knoxville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 62.0%, is more than both the national and state average. Lincoln Park United Methodist Church, Springhill Baptist Church and Lincoln Park Baptist Church are all churches located in Knoxville. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Knoxville is home to the Eastern State Hospital Farm and the Berry Hall as well as Volunteer Park and Neyland Stadium. Shopping malls in the area include Clinton Plaza Shopping Center, Walker Springs Plaza Shopping Center and Northgate Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Knoxville can choose from Homewood Suites Knoxville West, Days Inn and Days Inn Knoxville West for temporary stays in the area.