Career and Education Opportunities for Communication Professors in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
There are many career and education opportunities for communication professors in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area. Communication professors generally teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $20 per hour or $54,935 per year in South Dakota, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Communication professors earn less than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in South Dakota and less than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: communication lecturer, speech communication instructor, and english instructor.
The Sioux Falls area is home to ten schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Sioux Falls where you can get a degree as a communication professor. The most common level of education for communication professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years training to become a communication professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Communication Professor
In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
Communication professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, communication professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. Finally, communication professors compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Every day, communication professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for communication professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also act as advisers to student organizations. They are sometimes expected to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. Somewhat less frequently, communication professors are also expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
Communication professors sometimes are asked to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They also have to be able to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, communication professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Sioux Falls include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Communication Professor Training
Augustana College - Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana College, 2001 S Summit Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57197-0001. Augustana College is a small college located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,754 students and an admission rate of 81%. Augustana College has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree.
- Journalism, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
University of Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls, SD
University of Sioux Falls, 1101 W 22nd St, Sioux Falls, SD 57105-1699. University of Sioux Falls is a small university located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,564 students and an admission rate of 97%. University of Sioux Falls has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Mass Communication/Media Studies, bachelor's degree.
Accreditation in Public Relations: APR certification proves you have successfully demonstrated competency in the knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice public relations effectively in today's business arena.
For more information, see the Public Relations Society of America website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sioux Falls is located in Minnehaha County, South Dakota. It has a population of over 154,997, which has grown by 25.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Sioux Falls, 81, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Sioux Falls cost $149,700 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, five hundred eighty-six new homes were built in Sioux Falls, down from 1,000 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Sioux Falls are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, finance and insurance, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 16 minutes. More than 27.8% of Sioux Falls residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Sioux Falls is 5.1%, which is greater than South Dakota's average of 4.5%.
The percentage of Sioux Falls residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 66.8%, is more than both the national and state average. Messiah Church, Sunnycrest Church and First Convenant Church are some of the churches located in Sioux Falls. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Methodist Church.
Sioux Falls is home to the Elmwood Golf Course and the Cactus Hills Country Club as well as Pioneers of Minnehaha County Monument and Picasso Park. Visitors to Sioux Falls can choose from Kelly Inn, Fairfield Inn Sioux Falls and Albert House for temporary stays in the area.