Career and Education Opportunities for Tax Examiners in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for tax examiners in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area. The national trend for tax examiners sees this job pool growing by about 13.0% over the next eight years. In general, tax examiners determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
A person working as a tax examiner can expect to earn about $20 per hour or $41,850 annually on average in South Dakota and about $23 hourly or $48,100 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for tax examiners are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Accounting and Auditing in South Dakota and not quite as good as general Accounting and Auditing category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: treasury agent, revenue specialist, and customs appraiser.
There are six schools within twenty-five miles of Sioux Falls where you can study to be a tax examiner, among ten schools of higher education total in the Sioux Falls area. The most common level of education for tax examiners is some college courses. It will take a short time to learn to be a tax examiner if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Tax Examiner
In general, tax examiners determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
Tax examiners maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data. They also maintain records for each case. Finally, tax examiners contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and to request supporting documentation.
Every day, tax examiners are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for tax examiners to notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment, and either issue a refund or request further payment. They are often called upon to collect taxes from individuals or businesses in line with prescribed laws and regulations. They also talk with taxpayers or their representatives to consider the issues and regulations involved in returns, and to deal with problems with returns. They are sometimes expected to send notices to taxpayers when accounts are delinquent. Somewhat less frequently, tax examiners are also expected to examine and analyze tax assets and liabilities to establish resolution of delinquent tax problems.
Tax examiners sometimes are asked to ready briefs, and help in searching and seizing records to ready charges and documentation for court cases. They also have to be able to enter tax return data into computers for processing And finally, they sometimes have to maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data.
Like many other jobs, tax examiners must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Sioux Falls include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
- Loan Counselor. Provide guidance to prospective loan applicants who have problems qualifying for traditional loans. Guidance may include determining the best type of loan and explaining loan requirements or restrictions.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Tax Examiner Training
Southeast Technical Institute - Sioux Falls, SD
Southeast Technical Institute, 2320 N Career Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57107-1301. Southeast Technical Institute is a small school located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,138 students. Southeast Technical Institute has an associate's degree program in Accounting which graduated seventeen students in 2008.
Colorado Technical University of Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls, SD
Colorado Technical University of Sioux Falls, 3901 W 59th St, Sioux Falls, SD 57108-2272. Colorado Technical University of Sioux Falls is a small university located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,080 students. Colorado Technical University of Sioux Falls has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated fifteen and eight students respectively in 2008.
National American University-Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls, SD
National American University-Sioux Falls, Vista Park Office Building Suite 100, 2801 South Kiwanis Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57105-4293. National American University-Sioux Falls is a small university located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 391 students. National American University-Sioux Falls has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Kilian Community College - Sioux Falls, SD
Kilian Community College, 300 E. 6th Street, Sioux Falls, SD 57103-7020. Kilian Community College is a small college located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 330 students. Kilian Community College has an associate's degree program in Accounting.
University of Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls, SD
University of Sioux Falls, 1101 W 22nd St, Sioux Falls, SD 57105-1699. University of Sioux Falls is a small university located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,564 students and an admission rate of 97%. University of Sioux Falls has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated eleven students in 2008.
Augustana College - Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana College, 2001 S Summit Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57197-0001. Augustana College is a small college located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,754 students and an admission rate of 81%. Augustana College has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated two students in 2008.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
Certified Fraud Examiner: The ACFE established and administers the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designation.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sioux Falls is located in Minnehaha County, South Dakota. It has a population of over 154,997, which has grown by 25.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Sioux Falls, 81, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Sioux Falls cost $149,700 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, five hundred eighty-six new homes were built in Sioux Falls, down from 1,000 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Sioux Falls are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, finance and insurance, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 16 minutes. More than 27.8% of Sioux Falls residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Sioux Falls is 5.1%, which is greater than South Dakota's average of 4.5%.
The percentage of Sioux Falls residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 66.8%, is more than both the national and state average. Messiah Church, Sunnycrest Church and First Convenant Church are some of the churches located in Sioux Falls. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Methodist Church.
Sioux Falls is home to the Elmwood Golf Course and the Cactus Hills Country Club as well as Pioneers of Minnehaha County Monument and Picasso Park. Visitors to Sioux Falls can choose from Kelly Inn, Fairfield Inn Sioux Falls and Albert House for temporary stays in the area.