Career and Education Opportunities for Religious Activities Directors in Columbia, South Carolina
There are many career and education opportunities for religious activities directors in the Columbia, South Carolina area. The national trend for religious activities directors sees this job pool growing by about 12.6% over the next eight years. Religious activities directors generally direct and coordinate activities of a denominational group to meet religious needs of students.
The income of a religious activities director is about $29 hourly or $62,330 yearly on average in South Carolina. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $17 per hour or $36,100 yearly on average. Earnings for religious activities directors are better than earnings in the general category of Religious Services in South Carolina and better than general Religious Services category earnings nationally. People working as religious activities directors can fill a number of jobs, such as: sunday school superintendent, youth counselor, and educational director.
There are twenty schools of higher education in the Columbia area, including three within twenty-five miles of Columbia where you can get a degree to start your career as a religious activities director. Religious activities directors usually hold a Master's degree, so it will take about six years to learn to be a religious activities director if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Religious Activities Director
In general, religious activities directors direct and coordinate activities of a denominational group to meet religious needs of students. They also plan, direct, or coordinate church school programs designed to promote religious education among church membership.
Religious activities directors attend workshops and conferences to obtain program concepts and resources. They also decide on appropriate curricula and class structures for educational programs. Equally important, religious activities directors have to identify and recruit potential volunteer staff. They are often called upon to implement program plans by ordering needed materials and handling other administrative details. They are expected to collaborate with other ministry members to determine goals and objectives for religious education programs, and to evolve ways to foster program participation. Finally, religious activities directors talk with clergy members and congregation organizations to foster support of and participation in religious education efforts.
Every day, religious activities directors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for religious activities directors to analyze member participation and changes in congregation emphasis to establish needs for religious education. They are often called upon to train and supervise religious education instructional staff. They also counsel individuals regarding interpersonal and religious problems. They are sometimes expected to analyze revenue and program cost data to establish budget priorities. Somewhat less frequently, religious activities directors are also expected to formulate and conduct conferences dealing with the interpretation of religious concepts and convictions.
And finally, they sometimes have to visit congregation members' homes, or manage pastoral visits, in order to furnish data and resources regarding religious education programs.
Like many other jobs, religious activities directors must be able to take change and lead and have a strong social orientation.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Columbia include:
- Child and Family Services Worker. Provide social services and assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of children and their families and to maximize the family well-being and the academic functioning of children. May assist single parents, arrange adoptions, and find foster homes for abandoned or abused children. In schools, they address such problems as teenage pregnancy, misbehavior, and truancy. May also advise teachers on how to deal with problem children.
- Health Education Specialist. Promote, maintain, and improve individual and community health by assisting individuals and communities to adopt healthy behaviors. Collect and analyze data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies and environments. May also serve as a resource to assist individuals, other professionals, or the community, and may administer fiscal resources for health education programs.
- Minister. Conduct religious worship and perform other spiritual functions associated with beliefs and practices of religious faith or denomination. Provide spiritual and moral guidance and assistance to members.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Religious Activities Director Training
W L Bonner College - Columbia, SC
W L Bonner College, 4430 Argent Ct, Columbia, SC 29203. W L Bonner College is a small college located in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 60 students. W L Bonner College has 4 areas of study related to Religious Activities Director. They are:
- Bible/Biblical Studies, one to two year and bachelor's degree which graduated three and one students respectively in 2008.
- Missions/Missionary Studies and Missiology, one to two year and bachelor's degree.
- Religious Education, associate's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Youth Ministry, one to two year and bachelor's degree which graduated zero and two students respectively in 2008.
Columbia College - Columbia, SC
Columbia College, 1301 Columbia College Dr, Columbia, SC 29203. Columbia College is a small college located in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,405 students and an admission rate of 77%. Columbia College has a bachelor's degree program in Religious Education which graduated two students in 2008.
Columbia International University - Columbia, SC
Columbia International University, 7435 Monticello Rd, Columbia, SC 29203-1513. Columbia International University is a small university located in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 929 students and an admission rate of 85%. Columbia International University has 4 areas of study related to Religious Activities Director. They are:
- Bible/Biblical Studies, one to two year, associate's degree, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree which graduated one, zero, 118, twelve, and two students respectively in 2008.
- Missions/Missionary Studies and Missiology, master's degree which graduated 9 students in 2008.
- Religious Education, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated twelve and six students respectively in 2008.
- Youth Ministry, bachelor's degree which graduated 14 students in 2008.
Preventing Disease Transmission: A two-hour training module for employers and employees who, while on the job, may be exposed to blood or other body fluids that could cause infection.
For more information, see the American Red Cross website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Columbia, South Carolina
Columbia is located in Richland County, South Carolina. It has a population of over 127,029, which has grown by 9.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Columbia, 86, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Columbia cost $142,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, four hundred thirty-four new homes were built in Columbia, down from seven hundred the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Columbia are educational services, health care, and public administration. For men, it is educational services, public administration, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 18 minutes. More than 35.7% of Columbia residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 14.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Columbia is 16.1%, which is greater than South Carolina's average of 12.0%.
The percentage of Columbia residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.6%, is less than both the national and state average. Progressive Church, Bishop Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Church and Lutheran Seminary are among the churches located in Columbia. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Columbia is home to the Booker T Washington Center and the Longstreet Annex as well as Irwin Park and Columbia Historic District II. Shopping centers in the area include Five Points Shopping Center, Market Place Shopping Center and Columbiana Centre Shopping Center. Visitors to Columbia can choose from Marriott Columbia, Hampton Inn Columbia-SE-Fort Jackson and Embassy Suites Hotel for temporary stays in the area.