Career and Education Opportunities for Credit Investigators in Warwick, Rhode Island
For those living in the Warwick, Rhode Island area, there are many career and education opportunities for credit investigators. There are currently 140 working credit investigators in Rhode Island; this should shrink by 10% to 120 working credit investigators in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for credit investigators, which sees this job pool growing by about 2.8% over the next eight years. Credit investigators generally investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit.
Income for credit investigators is about $17 hourly or $37,130 yearly on average in Rhode Island. Nationally, their income is about $14 per hour or $30,390 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization, people working as credit investigators in Rhode Island earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization nationally.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Warwick where you can study to be a credit investigator, among fifty-one schools of higher education total in the Warwick area. Given that the most common education level for credit investigators is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a credit investigator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Credit Investigator
In general, credit investigators investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. They also telephone or write to credit departments of business and service establishments to obtain information about applicant's credit standing.
Every day, credit investigators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for credit investigators to ready reports of findings and recommendations, using typewriters or computers. They are often called upon to obtain data related to potential creditors from banks and other credit services, and furnish reciprocal data if requested. They also interview credit applicants by telephone or in person so as to obtain personal and financial data needed to finish credit report. Somewhat less frequently, credit investigators are also expected to examine city directories and public archives in order to confirm residence property ownership or unpaid taxes of applicants.
Credit investigators sometimes are asked to contact former employers and other acquaintances to confirm applicants' references and social behavior. They also have to be able to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone And finally, they sometimes have to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone.
Like many other jobs, credit investigators must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Warwick include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Eligibility and Occupancy Interviewer. Determine eligibility of persons applying to receive assistance from government programs and agency resources, such as welfare, unemployment benefits, and public housing.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Insurance Processing Clerk. Process applications for, changes to, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Credit Investigator Training
Three Rivers Community College - Norwich, CT
Three Rivers Community College, 574 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360. Three Rivers Community College is a small college located in Norwich, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,025 students. Three Rivers Community College has an associate's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated one student in 2008.
Quinebaug Valley Community College - Danielson, CT
Quinebaug Valley Community College, 742 Upper Maple St, Danielson, CT 06239-1436. Quinebaug Valley Community College is a small college located in Danielson, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,898 students. Quinebaug Valley Community College has an associate's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services.
Community College of Rhode Island - Warwick, RI
Community College of Rhode Island, 400 East Ave, Warwick, RI 02886-1807. Community College of Rhode Island is a large college located in Warwick, Rhode Island. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 17,612 students. Community College of Rhode Island has an associate's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Warwick, Rhode Island
Warwick is located in Kent County, Rhode Island. It has a population of over 84,483, which has shrunk by 1.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Warwick, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Warwick are priced at $129,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty new homes were constructed in Warwick, down from forty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Warwick are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 24.5% of Warwick residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Warwick is 11.5%, which is less than Rhode Island's average of 12.2%.
The percentage of Warwick residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.1%, is more than both the national and state average. Warwick Bible Chapel, Warwick Central Baptist Church and Warwick Christian Fellowship Church are all churches located in Warwick. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Warwick is home to the Kent County Chamber of Commerce and the Community College of Rhode Island Learning Resources Center as well as Apponaug Historic District and Salter Grove State Park. Shopping malls in the area include Buttonwoods Plaza Shopping Center, Buttonwoods Shopping Center and Clocktower Square Shopping Center. Visitors to Warwick can choose from Fairfield Inn Providence/Warwick, Extended Stay America and Courtyard by Marriott for temporary stays in the area.