Career and Education Opportunities for Gaming Cashiers in Warwick, Rhode Island
If you want to be a gaming cashier, the Warwick, Rhode Island area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for gaming cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. In general, gaming cashiers conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments.
The average wage in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping jobs is $15 per hour or $30,891 per year in Rhode Island, and an average of $14 per hour or $29,212 per year nationwide.
The Warwick area is home to fifty-one schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Warwick where you can get a degree as a gaming cashier. Given that the most common education level for gaming cashiers is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a gaming cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Gaming Cashier
In general, gaming cashiers conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. They also may reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books.
Gaming cashiers follow all gaming regulations. They also convert gaming checks and coins to currency for gaming patrons. Equally important, gaming cashiers have to cash checks and process credit card advances for patrons. They are often called upon to maintain confidentiality of customers' transactions. They are expected to count funds and reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Finally, gaming cashiers furnish customers with data related to casino operations.
Every day, gaming cashiers are expected to be able to deal with basic arithmetic problems. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they evaluate problems as they arise.
It is important for gaming cashiers to perform removal and rotation of cash and chip inventories as needed. They are often called upon to furnish assistance in the training and orientation of new cashiers. They also maintain cage security. They are sometimes expected to supply currency and gaming checks to other departments as needed. Somewhat less frequently, gaming cashiers are also expected to decide on cash requirements for windows, and order all needed currency and chips.
and record casino exchange transactions, using cash registers. And finally, they sometimes have to verify precision of reports, such as authorization forms and exchange summary reports.
Like many other jobs, gaming cashiers must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Warwick include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Gaming Cashier Training
Three Rivers Community College - Norwich, CT
Three Rivers Community College, 574 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360. Three Rivers Community College is a small college located in Norwich, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,025 students. Three Rivers Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated zero and fourteen students respectively in 2008.
Quinebaug Valley Community College - Danielson, CT
Quinebaug Valley Community College, 742 Upper Maple St, Danielson, CT 06239-1436. Quinebaug Valley Community College is a small college located in Danielson, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,898 students. Quinebaug Valley Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one and eight students respectively in 2008.
Bryant University - Smithfield, RI
Bryant University, 1150 Douglas Pike, Smithfield, RI 02917-1284. Bryant University is a small university located in Smithfield, Rhode Island. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,807 students and an admission rate of 44%. Bryant University has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Bristol Community College - Fall River, MA
Bristol Community College, 777 Elsbree St, Fall River, MA 02720-7395. Bristol Community College is a medium sized college located in Fall River, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,100 students. Bristol Community College has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Warwick, Rhode Island
Warwick is located in Kent County, Rhode Island. It has a population of over 84,483, which has shrunk by 1.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Warwick, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Warwick are priced at $129,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty new homes were constructed in Warwick, down from forty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Warwick are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 24.5% of Warwick residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Warwick is 11.5%, which is less than Rhode Island's average of 12.2%.
The percentage of Warwick residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.1%, is more than both the national and state average. Warwick Bible Chapel, Warwick Central Baptist Church and Warwick Christian Fellowship Church are all churches located in Warwick. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Warwick is home to the Kent County Chamber of Commerce and the Community College of Rhode Island Learning Resources Center as well as Apponaug Historic District and Salter Grove State Park. Shopping malls in the area include Buttonwoods Plaza Shopping Center, Buttonwoods Shopping Center and Clocktower Square Shopping Center. Visitors to Warwick can choose from Fairfield Inn Providence/Warwick, Extended Stay America and Courtyard by Marriott for temporary stays in the area.