Career and Education Opportunities for Cashiers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for cashiers in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. The national trend for cashiers sees this job pool growing by about 3.5% over the next eight years. Cashiers generally receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions.
The income of a cashier is about $8 per hour or $17,060 per year on average in Pennsylvania. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $8 per hour or $17,660 per year on average. Earnings for cashiers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in Pennsylvania and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
There are eighty-three schools of higher education in the Pittsburgh area, including two within twenty-five miles of Pittsburgh where you can get a degree to start your career as a cashier. Cashiers usually hold less than a high school diploma, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cashier
In general, cashiers receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. They also usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment.
Cashiers issue receipts or change due to clients. They also maintain clean and orderly checkout areas. Equally important, cashiers have to establish or identify prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulate bills using calculators or optical price scanners. They are often called upon to receive payment by cash or automatic debits. They are expected to answer clients' questions, and furnish data on procedures or policies. Finally, cashiers count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to insure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
Every day, cashiers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they understand what others are saying to them even in a noisy environment.
It is important for cashiers to cash checks for clients. They are often called upon to issue trading stamps, and redeem food stamps and coupons. They also compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records. They are sometimes expected to sell tickets and other items to clients. Somewhat less frequently, cashiers are also expected to compute and record totals of transactions.
Cashiers sometimes are asked to monitor checkout stations to insure that they have adequate cash available and that they are staffed appropriately. They also have to be able to post charges against guests' or patients' accounts and offer clients carry-out service at the close transactions. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records.
Like many other jobs, cashiers must have exceptional integrity and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Pittsburgh include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cashier Training
Bradford School - Pittsburgh, PA
Bradford School, 125 West Station Square Drive, Suite 129, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. Bradford School is a small school located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 583 students and an admission rate of 95%. Bradford School has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated two and nineteen students respectively in 2008.
Community College of Beaver County - Monaca, PA
Community College of Beaver County, One Campus Drive, Monaca, PA 15061-2588. Community College of Beaver County is a small college located in Monaca, Pennsylvania. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,695 students. Community College of Beaver County has a one to two year program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
Hospitality Skills Certification for Retail Cashier: Skill and knowledge training is the responsibility of property management and the participant.
For more information, see the Educational Institute of the American Hotel and Lodging Association website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh is located in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. It has a population of over 310,037, which has shrunk by 7.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Pittsburgh, 86, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Pittsburgh cost $196,700 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred eighty-five new homes were built in Pittsburgh, up from one hundred seventeen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Pittsburgh are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 26.2% of Pittsburgh residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Pittsburgh is 7.8%, which is less than Pennsylvania's average of 8.4%.
The percentage of Pittsburgh residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 71.8%, is more than both the national and state average. Saint Pauls Cathedral, Saint Patrick Roman Cathlic Church and Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church are some of the churches located in Pittsburgh. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the United Methodist Church.
Pittsburgh is home to the Mount Washington Overlook and the Golden Triangle as well as Magee Playground and Kennard Playground. Shopping centers in the area include Shadyside Shopping Center and Allegheny Center Mall. Visitors to Pittsburgh can choose from Best Western University Center, Avalon Motel and Four Points By Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport for temporary stays in the area.