Career and Education Opportunities for Security Guards in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for security guards. There are currently 36,350 working security guards in Pennsylvania; this should grow 15% to 41,900 working security guards in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for security guards, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.2% over the next eight years. In general, security guards guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules.
Income for security guards is about $11 hourly or $23,160 yearly on average in Pennsylvania. Nationally, their income is about $11 per hour or $23,460 annually. Earnings for security guards are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Police and Security in Pennsylvania and not quite as good as general Police and Security category earnings nationally. People working as security guards can fill a number of jobs, such as: houseman, elevated guard, and gate attendant.
The Pittsburgh area is home to eighty-three schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Pittsburgh where you can get a degree as a security guard. Security guards usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a security guard if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Security Guard
In general, security guards guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules.
Security guards track and authorize entrance and departure of employees and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises. Finally, security guards call police or fire departments in cases of emergency.
Every day, security guards are expected to be able to focus attention on specific tasks without being distracted. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for security guards to circulate among visitors or employees to preserve order and protect property. They are often called upon to answer alarms and investigate disturbances. They also write reports of daily efforts and irregularities such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences. They are sometimes expected to patrol industrial or commercial premises to inhibit and detect signs of intrusion and insure security of doors and gates. Somewhat less frequently, security guards are also expected to answer telephone calls to take messages and furnish data during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
They also have to be able to operate detecting devices to screen individuals and avoid passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas and escort or drive motor vehicle to move individuals to specified locations or to furnish personal protection. And finally, they sometimes have to operate detecting devices to screen individuals and avoid passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
Like many other jobs, security guards must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Pittsburgh include:
- Bailiff. Maintain order in courts of law.
- Chief of Police. Supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
- Correctional Officer. Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institution in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
- Criminal Investigator. Investigate alleged or suspected criminal violations of Federal, state, or local laws to determine if evidence is sufficient to recommend prosecution.
- Customs Inspector. Investigate and inspect persons, common carriers, and merchandise, arriving in or departing from the United States or between states to detect violations of immigration and customs laws and regulations.
- Fire Code Inspector. Inspect buildings and equipment to detect fire hazards and enforce state and local regulations.
- Police Officer. Conduct investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
- Police Records Officer. Collect evidence at crime scenes, classify and identify fingerprints, and photograph evidence for use in criminal and civil cases.
- Policeman. Patrol assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, and arrest violators.
- Private Investigator. Detect occurrences of unlawful acts or infractions of rules in private establishment, or seek, examine, and compile information for client.
- Sheriff. Enforce law and order in rural or unincorporated districts or serve legal processes of courts. May patrol courthouse, guard court or grand jury, or escort defendants.
- Transportation Security Officer. Inspect baggage or cargo and screen passengers to detect and prevent potentially dangerous objects from being transported into secure areas or onto aircraft.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Security Guard Training
Academy of Court Reporting Inc-Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh, PA
Academy of Court Reporting Inc-Pittsburgh, 235 4th Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. Academy of Court Reporting Inc-Pittsburgh is a small school located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 174 students. Academy of Court Reporting Inc-Pittsburgh has a one to two year program in Security and Loss Prevention Services which graduated one student in 2008.
Community College of Beaver County - Monaca, PA
Community College of Beaver County, One Campus Drive, Monaca, PA 15061-2588. Community College of Beaver County is a small college located in Monaca, Pennsylvania. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,695 students. Community College of Beaver County has an associate's degree program in Security and Loss Prevention Services.
Certified Corrections Manager - Security Threat Groups: Individuals who head a Security Threat Group (STG) program in an adult or juvenile corrections facility, contribute to the development of agency policies/procedures pertaining to STGs, and are involved in the implementation of these policies/procedures.
For more information, see the American Correctional Association website.
Certified Corrections Supervisor - Security Threat Groups: The American Correctional Association and the National Major Gang Task Force have collaborated to develop within the Corrections Certification Program a Security Threat Group specialization.
For more information, see the American Correctional Association website.
Certified Protection Officer: The CPO program is designed for protection professionals intent on.
For more information, see the International Foundation for Protection Officers website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh is located in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. It has a population of over 310,037, which has shrunk by 7.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Pittsburgh, 86, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Pittsburgh cost $196,700 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred eighty-five new homes were built in Pittsburgh, up from one hundred seventeen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Pittsburgh are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 26.2% of Pittsburgh residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Pittsburgh is 7.8%, which is less than Pennsylvania's average of 8.4%.
The percentage of Pittsburgh residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 71.8%, is more than both the national and state average. Saint Pauls Cathedral, Saint Patrick Roman Cathlic Church and Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church are some of the churches located in Pittsburgh. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the United Methodist Church.
Pittsburgh is home to the Mount Washington Overlook and the Golden Triangle as well as Magee Playground and Kennard Playground. Shopping centers in the area include Shadyside Shopping Center and Allegheny Center Mall. Visitors to Pittsburgh can choose from Best Western University Center, Avalon Motel and Four Points By Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport for temporary stays in the area.