Career and Education Opportunities for Cage Cashiers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for cage cashiers in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. About 400 people are currently employed as cage cashiers in Pennsylvania. By 2016, this is expected to grow 64% to about 650 people employed. This is better than the national trend for cage cashiers, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money.
Cage cashiers earn approximately $9 hourly or $18,760 per year on average in Pennsylvania. Nationally they average about $10 hourly or $21,980 per year. Incomes for cage cashiers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Sales and Clerical in Pennsylvania, and not quite as good as the overall Sales and Clerical category nationally.
The Philadelphia area is home to 156 schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Philadelphia where you can get a degree as a cage cashier. The most common level of education for cage cashiers is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a cage cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cage Cashier
In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. They also may issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine.
Cage cashiers count money and audit money drawers. Finally, cage cashiers exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients.
Every day, cage cashiers are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for cage cashiers to keep accurate records of monetary exchanges and transaction reconciliations. They are often called upon to work in and monitor an assigned area on the casino floor where slot machines are located. They also listen for jackpot alarm bells and issue payoffs to winners. They are sometimes expected to exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients. Somewhat less frequently, cage cashiers are also expected to furnish change persons with a money bank at the start of each shift.
They also have to be able to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players And finally, they sometimes have to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players.
Like many other jobs, cage cashiers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Philadelphia include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cage Cashier Training
Harcum College - Bryn Mawr, PA
Harcum College, 750 Montgomery Ave, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-3470. Harcum College is a small college located in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 913 students and an admission rate of 29%. Harcum College has an associate's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated two students in 2008.
Montgomery County Community College-Central Campus - Blue Bell, PA
Montgomery County Community College-Central Campus, 340 Dekalb Pike, Blue Bell, PA 19422-0796. Montgomery County Community College-Central Campus is a medium sized college located in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,641 students. Montgomery County Community College-Central Campus has a one to two year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one student in 2008.
Bucks County Community College - Newtown, PA
Bucks County Community College, 275 Swamp Rd, Newtown, PA 18940-4106. Bucks County Community College is a large college located in Newtown, Pennsylvania. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,260 students. Bucks County Community College has an associate's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one student in 2008.
Mercer County Community College - West Windsor, NJ
Mercer County Community College, 1200 Old Trenton Rd, West Windsor, NJ 08550-3407. Mercer County Community College is a medium sized college located in West Windsor, New Jersey. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,120 students. Mercer County Community College has a one to two year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one student in 2008.
Delaware County Community College - Media, PA
Delaware County Community College, 901 S Media Line Rd, Media, PA 19063-1094. Delaware County Community College is a large college located in Media, Pennsylvania. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,109 students. Delaware County Community College has an associate's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia is located in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. It has a population of over 1,447,395, which has shrunk by 4.6% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Philadelphia, 102, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Philadelphia cost $212,900 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, five hundred forty-five new homes were constructed in Philadelphia, down from five hundred ninety-one the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Philadelphia are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 32 minutes. More than 17.9% of Philadelphia residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.5%, is lower than the state average.
The percentage of Philadelphia residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 53.4%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Boulevard Church, Mount Herman Church and Saint Michael Mission Center are all churches located in Philadelphia. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Muslim Estimate.
Philadelphia is home to the Five Points and the Academy Gardens as well as Durham Park and Cloverly Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Mall, Andorra Shopping Center and Red Lion Shopping Center. Visitors to Philadelphia can choose from Comfort Inn, Concordia Worldwide Hotel Reservations and Embassy Suites for temporary stays in the area.