Career and Education Opportunities for Boat Mechanics in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for boat mechanics. The national trend for boat mechanics sees this job pool growing by about 5.6% over the next eight years. In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics earn approximately $15 per hour or $32,630 per year on average in Pennsylvania. Nationally they average about $16 per hour or $34,520 per year. Incomes for boat mechanics are not quite as good as in the overall category of Specialized Equipment in Pennsylvania, and not quite as good as the overall Specialized Equipment category nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Philadelphia where you can study to be a boat mechanic, among 156 schools of higher education total in the Philadelphia area. Given that the most common education level for boat mechanics is a post-secondary certificate, it will take a short time to learn to be a boat mechanic if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Boat Mechanic
In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges. They also examine and repair or adjust propellers and propeller shafts. Equally important, boat mechanics have to idle motors and observe thermometers to establish the effectiveness of cooling systems. They are often called upon to document inspection and test results, and work performed or to be performed. They are expected to mount motors to boats and operate boats at various speeds on waterways to conduct operational tests. Finally, boat mechanics repair or rework parts, using machine tools such as lathes and grinders.
Every day, boat mechanics are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for boat mechanics to adjust generators and remove faulty wiring, using hand tools and soldering irons. Somewhat less frequently, boat mechanics are also expected to start motors, and monitor performance for signs of malfunctioning such as smoke and misfiring.
And finally, they sometimes have to disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges.
Like many other jobs, boat mechanics must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Philadelphia include:
- Bus or Truck Garage Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile diesel engines.
- Commercial Diver. Work below surface of water, using scuba gear to inspect, repair, or install equipment and structures. May use a variety of power and hand tools, such as drills, sledgehammers, and welding equipment. May conduct tests or experiments, rig explosives, or photograph structures or marine life.
- Heating Equipment Installer. Install, service, and repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
- Industrial Machinery Mechanic. Repair, install, or maintain industrial production and processing machinery or refinery and pipeline distribution systems.
- Machine Repairman. Lubricate machinery, change parts, or perform other routine machinery maintenance.
- Mechanical Door Repairer. Install, service, or repair opening and closing mechanisms of automatic doors and hydraulic door closers. Includes garage door mechanics.
- Medical Equipment Repairer. Test, adjust, or repair biomedical or electromedical equipment.
- Millwright. Install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
- Refrigeration Mechanic. Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Signal and Track Switch Repairer. Install, inspect, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
- Vending Machine Mechanic. Install, service, or repair coin, vending, or amusement machines including video games, juke boxes, or slot machines.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Boat Mechanic Training
Pennco Tech - Blackwood, NJ
Pennco Tech, 99 Erial Road, Blackwood, NJ 08012. Pennco Tech is a small school located in Blackwood, New Jersey. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 680 students and an admission rate of 88%. Pennco Tech has a one to two year program in Marine Maintenance/Fitter & Ship Repair Technology/Technician which graduated sixteen students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia is located in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. It has a population of over 1,447,395, which has shrunk by 4.6% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Philadelphia, 102, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Philadelphia cost $212,900 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, five hundred forty-five new homes were constructed in Philadelphia, down from five hundred ninety-one the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Philadelphia are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 32 minutes. More than 17.9% of Philadelphia residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.5%, is lower than the state average.
The percentage of Philadelphia residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 53.4%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Boulevard Church, Mount Herman Church and Saint Michael Mission Center are all churches located in Philadelphia. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Muslim Estimate.
Philadelphia is home to the Five Points and the Academy Gardens as well as Durham Park and Cloverly Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Mall, Andorra Shopping Center and Red Lion Shopping Center. Visitors to Philadelphia can choose from Comfort Inn, Concordia Worldwide Hotel Reservations and Embassy Suites for temporary stays in the area.