Career and Education Opportunities for Math Professors in Salem, Oregon
Math professor career and educational opportunities abound in Salem, Oregon. Math professors generally teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $24 per hour or $70,047 per year in Oregon, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for math professors are better than in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in Oregon, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. Math professors work in a variety of jobs, including: math teacher, calculus teacher, and computational sciences professor.
The Salem area is home to seventeen schools of higher education, including six within twenty-five miles of Salem where you can get a degree as a math professor. Math professors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years training to become a math professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Math Professor
In general, math professors teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
Math professors ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They also maintain student attendance records and other required records. Equally important, math professors have to evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They are often called upon to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. They are expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. Finally, math professors serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Every day, math professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for math professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as linear algebra and discrete mathematics. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. Somewhat less frequently, math professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Math professors sometimes are asked to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in books or electronic media. and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Like many other jobs, math professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Salem include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Farm Management Adviser. Advise, instruct, and assist individuals and families engaged in agriculture, agricultural-related processes, or home economics activities. Demonstrate procedures and apply research findings to solve problems; instruct and train in product development, sales, and the utilization of machinery and equipment to promote general welfare. Includes county agricultural agents, feed and farm management advisers, home economists, and extension service advisors.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Math Professor Training
Willamette University - Salem, OR
Willamette University, 900 State St, Salem, OR 97301. Willamette University is a small university located in Salem, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,720 students and an admission rate of 66%. Willamette University has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated one student in 2008.
Oregon State University - Corvallis, OR
Oregon State University, , Corvallis, OR 97331. Oregon State University is a large university located in Corvallis, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 20,308 students and an admission rate of 86%. Oregon State University has 3 areas of study related to Math Professor. They are:
- Mathematics, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated twenty-four, nine, and three students respectively in 2008.
- Statistics, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated fifteen and two students respectively in 2008.
- Mathematics and Statistics, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Linfield College - McMinnville, OR
Linfield College, 900 SE Baker, McMinnville, OR 97128-6894. Linfield College is a small college located in McMinnville, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,721 students and an admission rate of 79%. Linfield College has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated twelve students in 2008.
Linn-Benton Community College - Albany, OR
Linn-Benton Community College, 6500 Pacific Blvd SW, Albany, OR 97321. Linn-Benton Community College is a medium sized college located in Albany, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,576 students. Linn-Benton Community College has an associate's degree program in Mathematics which graduated three students in 2008.
George Fox University - Newberg, OR
George Fox University, 414 N Meridian St, Newberg, OR 97132. George Fox University is a small university located in Newberg, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,382 students and an admission rate of 83%. George Fox University has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated one student in 2008.
Western Oregon University - Monmouth, OR
Western Oregon University, 345 N Monmouth Ave, Monmouth, OR 97361-1394. Western Oregon University is a medium sized university located in Monmouth, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,179 students and an admission rate of 44%. Western Oregon University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Mathematics which graduated eight and three students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Salem, Oregon
Salem is located in Marion County, Oregon. It has a population of over 153,435, which has grown by 12.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Salem, 97, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Salem are valued at $215,800 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, two hundred sixty-nine new homes were constructed in Salem, down from five hundred forty-three the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Salem are health care, public administration, and educational services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 24.1% of Salem residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Salem is 10.2%, which is less than Oregon's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Salem residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Salem is home to the Oregon Women's Correctional Center and the Oregon State Penitentiary as well as Waldo Park and Olinger Pool Park. Visitors to Salem can choose from Red Lion Hotel-Salem Reservations, Shilo Inn Salem and Econo Lodge Salem for temporary stays in the area.