Career and Education Opportunities for Order Fillers in Portland, Oregon
Order fillers can find many career and educational opportunities in the Portland, Oregon area. There are currently 16,530 jobs for order fillers in Oregon and this is projected to grow 15% to 19,020 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for order fillers are expected to grow by about 7.2%. Order fillers generally fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms.
The income of an order filler is about $11 hourly or $24,010 yearly on average in Oregon. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $10 hourly or $20,800 annually on average. Earnings for order fillers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Dispatching and Logistics in Oregon and not quite as good as general Dispatching and Logistics category earnings nationally.
There are fifty-nine schools of higher education in the Portland area, including four within twenty-five miles of Portland where you can get a degree to start your career as an order filler. Order fillers usually hold less than a high school diploma, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become an order filler if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Order Filler
In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. They also duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
Order fillers obtain products from bins or shelves. Finally, order fillers read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Every day, order fillers are expected to be able to read and understand documents and reports. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for order fillers to requisition additional materials and equipment. They are often called upon to compute prices of items or groups of items. They also keep archives of out-going orders. They are sometimes expected to complete order receipts. Somewhat less frequently, order fillers are also expected to complete order receipts.
and place products on conveyors leading to wrapping areas. And finally, they sometimes have to read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Like many other jobs, order fillers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Portland include:
- Dispatcher. Schedule and dispatch workers, work crews, or service vehicles for conveyance of materials, freight, or passengers, or for normal installation, service, or emergency repairs rendered outside the place of business. Duties may include using radio, telephone, or computer to transmit assignments and compiling statistics and reports on work progress.
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Freight Representative. Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Order Filler Training
Mt Hood Community College - Gresham, OR
Mt Hood Community College, 26000 SE Stark St, Gresham, OR 97030. Mt Hood Community College is a medium sized college located in Gresham, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,251 students. Mt Hood Community College has a less than one year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one student in 2008.
Portland Community College - Portland, OR
Portland Community College, 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR 97219-7132. Portland Community College is a large college located in Portland, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,657 students. Portland Community College has a less than one year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one student in 2008.
Clackamas Community College - Oregon City, OR
Clackamas Community College, 19600 Molalla Ave, Oregon City, OR 97045-8980. Clackamas Community College is a medium sized college located in Oregon City, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 6,701 students. Clackamas Community College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Retailing and Retail Operations.
Chemeketa Community College - Salem, OR
Chemeketa Community College, 4000 Lancaster Dr NE, Salem, OR 97305. Chemeketa Community College is a large college located in Salem, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,000 students. Chemeketa Community College has a one to two year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated two students in 2008.
Certified Materials & Resource Professional: CMRP status provides both internal and external rewards.
For more information, see the Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Portland, Oregon
Portland is located in Multnomah County, Oregon. It has a population of over 557,706, which has grown by 5.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Portland, 103, is above the national average. New single-family homes in Portland are priced at $194,700 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, six hundred forty-eight new homes were constructed in Portland, down from 1,205 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Portland are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 23 minutes. More than 32.6% of Portland residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Portland is 10.7%, which is greater than Oregon's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Portland residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Portland is home to the Barnes Yard and the Haig as well as Cottonwood Bay City Park and Wallace City Park. Visitors to Portland can choose from Motel 6, Shilo Inns & Resorts and Comfort Inn Portland for temporary stays in the area.