Career and Education Opportunities for Computer Clerks in Portland, Oregon
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for computer clerks in the Portland, Oregon area. There are currently 2,520 jobs for computer clerks in Oregon and this is projected to shrink by 3% to 2,450 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for computer clerks are expected to shrink by about 6.1%. Computer clerks generally operate data entry device.
Computer clerks earn about $12 hourly or $26,630 yearly on average in Oregon and about $12 per hour or $26,120 annually on average nationally. Earnings for computer clerks are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Computer Operation in Oregon and not quite as good as general Computer Operation category earnings nationally.
There are fifty-nine schools of higher education in the Portland area, including six within twenty-five miles of Portland where you can get a degree to start your career as a computer clerk. The most common level of education for computer clerks is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a computer clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Computer Clerk
In general, computer clerks operate data entry device.
Computer clerks store completed documents in appropriate locations. They also compile, sort and verify the precision of data before it is entered. Equally important, computer clerks have to locate and correct data entry errors, or report them to supervisors. They are often called upon to compare data with source documents, or re-enter data in verification format to uncover errors. Finally, computer clerks maintain logs of efforts and completed work.
Every day, computer clerks are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for computer clerks to load machines with required input or output media such as paper, cards, disks, tape or Braille media. They are often called upon to read source documents such as canceled checks or bills, and enter data in specific data fields or onto tapes or disks for subsequent entry, using keyboards or scanners. They also decide on materials needed to finish work assignments. Somewhat less frequently, computer clerks are also expected to decide on materials needed to finish work assignments.
And finally, they sometimes have to maintain logs of efforts and completed work.
Like many other jobs, computer clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Portland include:
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Online Publisher. Format typescript and graphic elements using computer software to produce publication-ready material.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Typist. Type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. May perform other clerical duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Computer Clerk Training
Everest College-Vancouver - Vancouver, WA
Everest College-Vancouver, 120 NE 136th Ave Ste 130, Vancouver, WA 98684-6950. Everest College-Vancouver is a small college located in Vancouver, Washington. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 444 students and an admission rate of 61%. Everest College-Vancouver has a one to two year program in Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry which graduated two students in 2008.
Mt Hood Community College - Gresham, OR
Mt Hood Community College, 26000 SE Stark St, Gresham, OR 97030. Mt Hood Community College is a medium sized college located in Gresham, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,251 students. Mt Hood Community College has 2 areas of study related to Computer Clerk. They are:
- Graphic and Printing Equipment Operator, General Production, one to two year and associate's degree.
- Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated nine and zero students respectively in 2008.
Chemeketa Community College - Salem, OR
Chemeketa Community College, 4000 Lancaster Dr NE, Salem, OR 97305. Chemeketa Community College is a large college located in Salem, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,000 students. Chemeketa Community College has 2 areas of study related to Computer Clerk. They are:
- Graphic and Printing Equipment Operator, General Production, associate's degree.
- Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry, one to two year which graduated 4 students in 2008.
Portland Community College - Portland, OR
Portland Community College, 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR 97219-7132. Portland Community College is a large college located in Portland, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,657 students. Portland Community College has a less than one year program in Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry.
Clark College - Vancouver, WA
Clark College, 1933 Fort Vancouver Way, Vancouver, WA 98663-3598. Clark College is a large college located in Vancouver, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,378 students. Clark College has 2 areas of study related to Computer Clerk. They are:
- Data Entry/Microcomputer Applications, less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree which graduated twenty-nine, six, and eight students respectively in 2008.
- Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated two and four students respectively in 2008.
Everest College-Portland - Portland, OR
Everest College-Portland, 425 SW Washington, Portland, OR 97204-2296. Everest College-Portland is a small college located in Portland, Oregon. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 764 students and an admission rate of 49%. Everest College-Portland has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Data Entry/Microcomputer Applications which graduated five and four students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Portland, Oregon
Portland is located in Multnomah County, Oregon. It has a population of over 557,706, which has grown by 5.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Portland, 103, is above the national average. New single-family homes in Portland are priced at $194,700 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, six hundred forty-eight new homes were constructed in Portland, down from 1,205 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Portland are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 23 minutes. More than 32.6% of Portland residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Portland is 10.7%, which is greater than Oregon's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Portland residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Portland is home to the Barnes Yard and the Haig as well as Cottonwood Bay City Park and Wallace City Park. Visitors to Portland can choose from Motel 6, Shilo Inns & Resorts and Comfort Inn Portland for temporary stays in the area.