Career and Education Opportunities for Office Machine Operators in Gresham, Oregon
Office machine operators can find many career and educational opportunities in the Gresham, Oregon area. There are currently 1,040 working office machine operators in Oregon; this should grow 12% to 1,160 working office machine operators in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for office machine operators, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 7.6% over the next eight years. Office machine operators generally operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
A person working as an office machine operator can expect to earn about $12 per hour or $25,390 yearly on average in Oregon and about $12 per hour or $25,780 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Secretarial, people working as office machine operators in Oregon earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Secretarial nationally.
There are forty-six schools of higher education in the Gresham area, including three within twenty-five miles of Gresham where you can get a degree to start your career as an office machine operator. The most common level of education for office machine operators is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become an office machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Office Machine Operator
In general, office machine operators operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
Office machine operators sort and proof completed work. They also load machines with materials such as blank paper or film. Equally important, office machine operators have to monitor machine operation, and make adjustments as needed to insure proper operation. They are often called upon to place original copies in feed trays, feed originals into feed rolls, or position originals on tables beneath camera lenses. They are expected to operate auxiliary machines such as collators, pad and tablet making machines and paper punching, folding and perforating machines. Finally, office machine operators file and store completed documents.
Every day, office machine operators are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for office machine operators to complete archives of production, including work volumes and outputs and any backlogs. They are often called upon to deliver completed work. They also ready and process papers for use in scanning and microfiche. They are sometimes expected to clean and file master copies or plates. Somewhat less frequently, office machine operators are also expected to operate office machines such as high speed business photocopiers, reader/scanners, addressing machines, stencil-cutting machines, microfilm reader/printers, folding and inserting and binder machines.
and prepare and adjust machines, regulating factors such as speed and number of copies. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain stock of supplies, and requisition any needed items.
Like many other jobs, office machine operators must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Gresham include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Production Proofreader. Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Office Machine Operator Training
Mt Hood Community College - Gresham, OR
Mt Hood Community College, 26000 SE Stark St, Gresham, OR 97030. Mt Hood Community College is a medium sized college located in Gresham, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,251 students. Mt Hood Community College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated eight and zero students respectively in 2008.
Portland Community College - Portland, OR
Portland Community College, 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR 97219-7132. Portland Community College is a large college located in Portland, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,657 students. Portland Community College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated one student in 2008.
Clark College - Vancouver, WA
Clark College, 1933 Fort Vancouver Way, Vancouver, WA 98663-3598. Clark College is a large college located in Vancouver, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,378 students. Clark College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated eight and three students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Gresham, Oregon
Gresham is situated in Multnomah County, Oregon. It has a population of over 101,221, which has grown by 12.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Gresham, 100, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Gresham cost $219,200 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, one hundred three new homes were built in Gresham, down from three hundred five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Gresham are health care, accommodation and food services, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 18.4% of Gresham residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Gresham is 10.8%, which is greater than Oregon's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Gresham residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Gresham is home to the Linnemann and the Ruby Junction Maintenance Facility-Portland Light Rail System as well as Kane City Park and Davis City Park. Visitors to Gresham can choose from Best Western, Gresham Suites and Shilo Inn-Gresham for temporary stays in the area.