Career and Education Opportunities for Architecture Professors in Gresham, Oregon
If you want to be an architecture professor, the Gresham, Oregon area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. Architecture professors generally teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $24 per hour or $70,047 per year in Oregon, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as architecture professors in Oregon earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. Architecture professors work in a variety of jobs, including: dean, building construction professor, and landscape architecture teacher.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Gresham where you can study to be an architecture professor, among forty-six schools of higher education total in the Gresham area. Given that the most common education level for architecture professors is a Master's degree, it will take about six years to learn to be an architecture professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Architecture Professor
In general, architecture professors teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
Architecture professors formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. They also keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. Equally important, architecture professors have to evaluate and grade students' work, including work performed in layout studios. They are often called upon to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, architecture professors conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media.
Every day, architecture professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for architecture professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, architecture professors are also expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
Architecture professors sometimes are asked to participate in campus and community events. They also have to be able to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues And finally, they sometimes have to write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
Like many other jobs, architecture professors must have exceptional integrity and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Gresham include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Architecture Professor Training
Portland State University - Portland, OR
Portland State University, 724 SW Harrison, Portland, OR 97201. Portland State University is a large university located in Portland, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 25,959 students and an admission rate of 80%. Portland State University has 2 areas of study related to Architecture Professor. They are:
- Architecture, bachelor's degree which graduated 38 students in 2008.
- City/Urban, Community and Regional Planning, master's degree which graduated 39 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Gresham, Oregon
Gresham is situated in Multnomah County, Oregon. It has a population of over 101,221, which has grown by 12.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Gresham, 100, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Gresham cost $219,200 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, one hundred three new homes were built in Gresham, down from three hundred five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Gresham are health care, accommodation and food services, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 18.4% of Gresham residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Gresham is 10.8%, which is greater than Oregon's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Gresham residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Gresham is home to the Linnemann and the Ruby Junction Maintenance Facility-Portland Light Rail System as well as Kane City Park and Davis City Park. Visitors to Gresham can choose from Best Western, Gresham Suites and Shilo Inn-Gresham for temporary stays in the area.