Career and Education Opportunities for Tax Examiners in Eugene, Oregon
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for tax examiners in the Eugene, Oregon area. About 760 people are currently employed as tax examiners in Oregon. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 6% to about 800 people employed. This is not quite as good as the national trend for tax examiners, which sees this job pool growing by about 13.0% over the next eight years. Tax examiners generally determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
The income of a tax examiner is about $20 per hour or $42,160 annually on average in Oregon. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $23 hourly or $48,100 yearly on average. Incomes for tax examiners are not quite as good as in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing in Oregon, and not quite as good as the overall Accounting and Auditing category nationally. Tax examiners work in a variety of jobs, including: income tax investigator, adjustment examiner, and tax analyst.
There are seven schools of higher education in the Eugene area, including two within twenty-five miles of Eugene where you can get a degree to start your career as a tax examiner. The most common level of education for tax examiners is some college courses. You can expect to spend a short time studying to be a tax examiner if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Tax Examiner
In general, tax examiners determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
Tax examiners maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data. They also maintain records for each case. Finally, tax examiners contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and to request supporting documentation.
Every day, tax examiners are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for tax examiners to notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment, and either issue a refund or request further payment. They are often called upon to collect taxes from individuals or businesses in line with prescribed laws and regulations. They also talk with taxpayers or their representatives to consider the issues and regulations involved in returns, and to deal with problems with returns. They are sometimes expected to send notices to taxpayers when accounts are delinquent. Somewhat less frequently, tax examiners are also expected to examine and analyze tax assets and liabilities to establish resolution of delinquent tax problems.
Tax examiners sometimes are asked to ready briefs, and help in searching and seizing records to ready charges and documentation for court cases. They also have to be able to enter tax return data into computers for processing And finally, they sometimes have to maintain knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial data.
Like many other jobs, tax examiners must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Eugene include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Tax Examiner Training
Northwest Christian University - Eugene, OR
Northwest Christian University, 828 East 11th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401-3745. Northwest Christian University is a small university located in Eugene, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 534 students and an admission rate of 54%. Northwest Christian University has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated eight students in 2008.
University of Oregon - Eugene, OR
University of Oregon, 110 Johnson Hall, Eugene, OR 97403. University of Oregon is a large university located in Eugene, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 21,435 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of Oregon has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Accounting which graduated 115 and twenty-eight students respectively in 2008.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
Certified Fraud Examiner: The ACFE established and administers the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designation.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Eugene, Oregon
Eugene is located in Lane County, Oregon. It has a population of over 150,104, which has grown by 8.9% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Eugene, 98, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Eugene cost $197,200 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, one hundred eighty-one new homes were constructed in Eugene, down from two hundred ninety-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Eugene are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 37.3% of Eugene residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Eugene is 9.9%, which is less than Oregon's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Eugene residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 24.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.
Eugene is home to the Eugene Country Club and the Balboa Park Drag Strip as well as Acorn City Park and Monroe City Park. Visitors to Eugene can choose from Hawthorn Inn & Suites, Best Value Inn and Marriott Residence Inn for temporary stays in the area.