Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Eugene, Oregon
Craftsman career and educational opportunities abound in Eugene, Oregon. The national trend for craftsmen sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
The income of a craftsman is about $12 per hour or $26,100 per year on average in Oregon. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $13 per hour or $29,080 yearly on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as craftsmen in Oregon earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Jobs in this field include: toy maker, bronze sculptor, and art objects repairer.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Eugene where you can study to be a craftsman, among seven schools of higher education total in the Eugene area. Craftsmen usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Eugene include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
University of Oregon - Eugene, OR
University of Oregon, 110 Johnson Hall, Eugene, OR 97403. University of Oregon is a large university located in Eugene, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 21,435 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of Oregon has 7 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Painting, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- Sculpture, master's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Printmaking, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
- Ceramic Arts and Ceramics, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Fiber, Textile and Weaving Arts, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and one students respectively in 2008.
- Metal and Jewelry Arts, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated four and two students respectively in 2008.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
Licensing agency: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Address: 3406 Cherry Ave NE, Salem, OR 97303
Phone: (503) 947-6000
Website: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
LOCATION INFORMATION: Eugene, Oregon
Eugene is located in Lane County, Oregon. It has a population of over 150,104, which has grown by 8.9% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Eugene, 98, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Eugene cost $197,200 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, one hundred eighty-one new homes were constructed in Eugene, down from two hundred ninety-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Eugene are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 37.3% of Eugene residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Eugene is 9.9%, which is less than Oregon's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Eugene residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 24.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.
Eugene is home to the Eugene Country Club and the Balboa Park Drag Strip as well as Acorn City Park and Monroe City Park. Visitors to Eugene can choose from Hawthorn Inn & Suites, Best Value Inn and Marriott Residence Inn for temporary stays in the area.