Career and Education Opportunities for Postmasters in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
If you want to be a postmaster, the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. About 560 people are currently employed as postmasters in Oklahoma. By 2016, this is expected to shrink 3% to 540 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for postmasters are expected to shrink by about 15.1%. In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U.
Income for postmasters is about $27 per hour or $56,420 yearly on average in Oklahoma. Nationally, their income is about $28 hourly or $59,310 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Transportation and Logistics, people working as postmasters in Oklahoma earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Transportation and Logistics nationally. People working as postmasters can fill a number of jobs, such as: mail delivery supervisor, customer service manager, and postal service sectional center manager.
There are forty-four schools of higher education in the Oklahoma City area, including one within twenty-five miles of Oklahoma City where you can get a degree to start your career as a postmaster. Given that the most common education level for postmasters is a high school diploma or GED, it will take only a short time to learn to be a postmaster if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Postmaster
In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U. They also s.
Postmasters organize and supervise efforts such as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail. They also resolve customer complaints. Finally, postmasters ready employee work schedules.
Every day, postmasters are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for postmasters to ready and submit detailed and summary reports of post office efforts to designated supervisors. They are often called upon to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance. They also negotiate labor disputes. They are sometimes expected to direct and schedule operational, management, and supportive services of one or variety of postal facilities. Somewhat less frequently, postmasters are also expected to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance.
Postmasters sometimes are asked to ready employee work schedules. They also have to be able to issue and cash money orders And finally, they sometimes have to talk with suppliers to obtain bids for proposed purchases and to requisition supplies; disburse funds in line with federal regulations.
Like many other jobs, postmasters must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oklahoma City include:
- Administrator. Plan, direct, or coordinate supportive services of an organization, such as recordkeeping, mail distribution, telephone operator/receptionist, and other office support services. May oversee facilities planning and maintenance and custodial operations.
- Chief Executive Officer. Determine and formulate policies and provide the overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within the guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plan, direct, or coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
- Compensation and Benefits Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate compensation and benefits activities and staff of an organization.
- Human Relations Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate human resource management activities of an organization to maximize the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as employee compensation, recruitment, and regulatory compliance.
- Shipping Receiving Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the storage and distribution operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that are engaged in storing and distributing materials and products.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
- Transportation Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Postmaster Training
University of Oklahoma Norman Campus - Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma Norman Campus, 660 Parrington Oval, Norman, OK 73019-3072. University of Oklahoma Norman Campus is a large university located in Norman, Oklahoma. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 26,201 students and an admission rate of 73%. University of Oklahoma Norman Campus has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated seven and fifty-three students respectively in 2008.
Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence: The Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence is a professional who leads and champions process-improvement initiatives everywhere from small businesses to multinational corporations that can have regional or global focus in a variety of service and industrial settings.
For more information, see the American Society for Quality website.
Certified Manager: Certified Manager certification is valued for the credibility and recognition it brings to managers and the organizations for which they work.
For more information, see the Institute of Certified Professional Managers website.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Oklahoma City is located in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. It has a population of over 551,789, which has grown by 9.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oklahoma City, 82, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Oklahoma City cost $142,600 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, 1,474 new homes were built in Oklahoma City, down from 2,559 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oklahoma City are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 24.0% of Oklahoma City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oklahoma City is 6.5%, which is less than Oklahoma's average of 7.1%.
The percentage of Oklahoma City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 65.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Grace Place Baptist Church, Grace Presbyterian Church and Grace United Methodist Church are some of the churches located in Oklahoma City. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Oklahoma City is home to the Colonial Square and the 50 Penn Place as well as Rotary Park and River Park. Shopping malls in the area include 240 Plaza Shopping Center, 74 South Shopping Center and Council Crossings Shopping Center. Visitors to Oklahoma City can choose from Rodeway Inn Oklahoma City, Harvey Janitorial Sales and Market Source for temporary stays in the area.