Career and Education Opportunities for Set and Exhibit Designers in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for set and exhibit designers in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma area. The national trend for set and exhibit designers sees this job pool growing by about 16.6% over the next eight years. Set and exhibit designers generally design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets.
A person working as a set and exhibit designer can expect to earn about $7 hourly or $15,200 per year on average in Oklahoma and about $21 hourly or $44,660 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as set and exhibit designers in Oklahoma earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Jobs in this field include: miniature set designer, scenic arts supervisor, and presentation specialist.
The Oklahoma City area is home to forty-four schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Oklahoma City where you can get a degree as a set and exhibit designer. Given that the most common education level for set and exhibit designers is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a set and exhibit designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Set and Exhibit Designer
In general, set and exhibit designers design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. They also may study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
Set and exhibit designers estimate set- or exhibit-related costs including materials and rental of props or locations. They also direct and schedule construction, erection, or decoration efforts in order to insure that sets or exhibits meet layout and schedule requirements. Equally important, set and exhibit designers have to talk with clients and staff so as to gather data related to exhibit space, proposed themes and content and/or promotion requirements. They are often called upon to acquire, or manage acquisition of, specimens or graphics required to finish exhibits. They are expected to submit plans for approval, and adapt plans to serve intended purposes, or to conform to budget or fabrication restrictions. Finally, set and exhibit designers design for location-specific issues such as space limitations, traffic flow patterns, and safety concerns.
Every day, set and exhibit designers are expected to be able to visualize how things come together and can be organized. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for set and exhibit designers to layout and produce displays and materials that can be used to decorate windows or event locations such as streets and fairgrounds. They are often called upon to direct the removal of sets and exhibits after productions or events are complete. They also research architectural and stylistic elements appropriate to the time period to be depicted, consulting experts for data as needed. They are sometimes expected to decide on and purchase lumber and hardware needed for set construction. Somewhat less frequently, set and exhibit designers are also expected to observe sets during rehearsals in order to insure that set elements do not interfere with performance aspects such as cast movement and camera angles.
and design set designs on the basis of evaluation of scripts and available locations. And finally, they sometimes have to ready rough drafts and scale working drawings of sets, including floor plans and properties to be constructed.
Like many other jobs, set and exhibit designers must believe in innovation and creative thought and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oklahoma City include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Choreographer. Create and teach dance. May direct and stage presentations.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Dancer. Perform dances. May also sing or act.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Photographer. Photograph persons, subjects, or other commercial products. May develop negatives and produce finished prints.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Set and Exhibit Designer Training
Oklahoma School of Photography - Moore, OK
Oklahoma School of Photography, 2306 N Moore Ave, Moore, OK 73160. Oklahoma School of Photography is a small school located in Moore, Oklahoma. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 17 students and an admission rate of 77%. Oklahoma School of Photography has a one to two year program in Design and Visual Communications which graduated one student in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City, OK
ITT Technical Institute-Oklahoma City, 50 Penn Place Office Tower, 1900 NW Expressway St.-Ste 305, Oklahoma City, OK 73118. ITT Technical Institute-Oklahoma City is a small school located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 312 students and an admission rate of 43%. ITT Technical Institute-Oklahoma City has an associate's degree program in Design and Visual Communications.
Oklahoma Christian University - Edmond, OK
Oklahoma Christian University, 2501 E Memorial Rd, Edmond, OK 73013-1100. Oklahoma Christian University is a small university located in Edmond, Oklahoma. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,161 students and an admission rate of 56%. Oklahoma Christian University has a bachelor's degree program in Design and Applied Arts, Other Specialties which graduated three students in 2008.
University of Central Oklahoma - Edmond, OK
University of Central Oklahoma, 100 N University Dr, Edmond, OK 73034. University of Central Oklahoma is a large university located in Edmond, Oklahoma. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 13,724 students and an admission rate of 69%. University of Central Oklahoma has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Design and Visual Communications which graduated thirty-nine and two students respectively in 2008.
Saint Gregorys University - Shawnee, OK
Saint Gregorys University, 1900 W MacArthur, Shawnee, OK 74804. Saint Gregorys University is a small university located in Shawnee, Oklahoma. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 705 students and an admission rate of 97%. Saint Gregorys University has a bachelor's degree program in Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Oklahoma City is located in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. It has a population of over 551,789, which has grown by 9.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oklahoma City, 82, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Oklahoma City cost $142,600 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, 1,474 new homes were built in Oklahoma City, down from 2,559 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oklahoma City are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 21 minutes. More than 24.0% of Oklahoma City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oklahoma City is 6.5%, which is less than Oklahoma's average of 7.1%.
The percentage of Oklahoma City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 65.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Grace Place Baptist Church, Grace Presbyterian Church and Grace United Methodist Church are some of the churches located in Oklahoma City. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Oklahoma City is home to the Colonial Square and the 50 Penn Place as well as Rotary Park and River Park. Shopping malls in the area include 240 Plaza Shopping Center, 74 South Shopping Center and Council Crossings Shopping Center. Visitors to Oklahoma City can choose from Rodeway Inn Oklahoma City, Harvey Janitorial Sales and Market Source for temporary stays in the area.