Career and Education Opportunities for Gaming Cashiers in Cleveland, Ohio
Gaming cashiers can find many career and educational opportunities in the Cleveland, Ohio area. The national trend for gaming cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. Gaming cashiers generally conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments.
The average wage in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping jobs is $14 per hour or $28,608 per year in Ohio, and an average of $14 per hour or $29,212 per year nationwide.
The Cleveland area is home to 103 schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Cleveland where you can get a degree as a gaming cashier. The most common level of education for gaming cashiers is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a gaming cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Gaming Cashier
In general, gaming cashiers conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. They also may reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books.
Gaming cashiers follow all gaming regulations. They also convert gaming checks and coins to currency for gaming patrons. Equally important, gaming cashiers have to cash checks and process credit card advances for patrons. They are often called upon to maintain confidentiality of customers' transactions. They are expected to count funds and reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Finally, gaming cashiers furnish customers with data related to casino operations.
Every day, gaming cashiers are expected to be able to deal with basic arithmetic problems. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they evaluate problems as they arise.
It is important for gaming cashiers to perform removal and rotation of cash and chip inventories as needed. They are often called upon to furnish assistance in the training and orientation of new cashiers. They also maintain cage security. They are sometimes expected to supply currency and gaming checks to other departments as needed. Somewhat less frequently, gaming cashiers are also expected to decide on cash requirements for windows, and order all needed currency and chips.
and record casino exchange transactions, using cash registers. And finally, they sometimes have to verify precision of reports, such as authorization forms and exchange summary reports.
Like many other jobs, gaming cashiers must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Cleveland include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Gaming Cashier Training
University of Akron Main Campus - Akron, OH
University of Akron Main Campus, 302 Buchtel Common, Akron, OH 44325-4702. University of Akron Main Campus is a large university located in Akron, Ohio. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 24,202 students. University of Akron Main Campus has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one and three students respectively in 2008.
TechSkills-Cleveland - Cleveland, OH
TechSkills-Cleveland, 5005 Rockside Rd Ste 400, Cleveland, OH 44131. TechSkills-Cleveland is a small school located in Cleveland, Ohio. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 55 students. TechSkills-Cleveland has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated three students in 2008.
National College - Stow, OH
National College, 3855 Fishcreek Rd, Stow, OH 44224. National College is a small college located in Stow, Ohio. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 205 students. National College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Cuyahoga Community College District - Cleveland, OH
Cuyahoga Community College District, 700 Carnegie Ave, Cleveland, OH 44115-2878. Cuyahoga Community College District is a large college located in Cleveland, Ohio. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,234 students. Cuyahoga Community College District has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated three students in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Strongsville - Strongsville, OH
ITT Technical Institute-Strongsville, 14955 Sprague Rd, Strongsville, OH 44136. ITT Technical Institute-Strongsville is a small school located in Strongsville, Ohio. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 566 students and an admission rate of 52%. ITT Technical Institute-Strongsville has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated two students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland is situated in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. It has a population of over 433,748, which has shrunk by 9.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Cleveland, 81, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Cleveland are valued at $94,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred nine new homes were built in Cleveland, down from one hundred eighty-four the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Cleveland are health care, accommodation and food services, and educational services. For men, it is metal and metal products, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 11.4% of Cleveland residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Cleveland is 10.5%, which is greater than Ohio's average of 10.0%.
The percentage of Cleveland residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 57.8%, is more than both the national and state average. Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Annunciation, Abyssinia Baptist Church and Highland Christian Church are among the churches located in Cleveland. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Methodist Church and the American Baptist Churches in the USA.
Cleveland is home to the Mastick Woods Golf Course and the Dock Number 32 as well as Shaker Square Historic District and Newton Avenue Historic District. Shopping malls in the area include Shaker-Moreland Shopping Center, Shaker Square Shopping Center and Clark West 30th Shopping Center. Visitors to Cleveland can choose from Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Gateway, Airport Sheraton and Extended Stayamerica for temporary stays in the area.