Career and Education Opportunities for Market Research Analysts in Raleigh, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for market research analysts. There are currently 4,360 jobs for market research analysts in North Carolina and this is projected to grow by 15% to 5,030 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for market research analysts are expected to grow by about 28.1%. In general, market research analysts research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service.
The income of a market research analyst is about $27 per hour or $57,220 per year on average in North Carolina. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $29 per hour or $61,070 yearly on average. Earnings for market research analysts are better than earnings in the general category of Social Sciences in North Carolina and not quite as good as general Social Sciences category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: program strategist, client services vice president, and advertising analyst.
The Raleigh area is home to twenty-nine schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Raleigh where you can get a degree as a market research analyst. Market research analysts usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a market research analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Research Analyst
In general, market research analysts research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. They also may gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution.
Market research analysts ready reports of findings, illustrating data graphically and translating complex findings into written text. They also monitor industry statistics and follow trends in trade literature. Equally important, market research analysts have to collect and analyze data on customer demographics and buying habits to pinpoint potential markets and factors affecting product demand. They are often called upon to gather data on competitors and analyze their prices and methods of marketing and distribution. They are expected to seek and furnish data to help companies decide on their position in the marketplace. Finally, market research analysts attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
Every day, market research analysts are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for market research analysts to measure the effectiveness of marketing and communications programs and strategies. They are often called upon to design and implement processes for identifying advertising needs. They also direct trained survey interviewers. Somewhat less frequently, market research analysts are also expected to attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
And finally, they sometimes have to measure and assess customer and employee satisfaction.
Like many other jobs, market research analysts must have exceptional integrity and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Raleigh include:
- Archaeologist. Conduct research to reconstruct record of past human life and culture from human remains, artifacts, and structures recovered through excavation, underwater recovery, or other means of discovery.
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Survey Representative. Design or conduct surveys. May supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone. May present survey results to client.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
- Urban Planner. Develop comprehensive plans and programs for use of land and physical facilities of local jurisdictions, such as towns, cities, and metropolitan areas.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Research Analyst Training
Campbell University Inc - Buies Creek, NC
Campbell University Inc, 450 Leslie Campbell Ave, Buies Creek, NC 27506. Campbell University Inc is a medium sized university located in Buies Creek, North Carolina. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,075 students and an admission rate of 60%. Campbell University Inc has a bachelor's degree program in Economics which graduated three students in 2008.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 103 South Bldg Cb 9100, Chapel Hill, NC 27599. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a large university located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,567 students and an admission rate of 35%. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Economics which graduated seventy-eight, eight, and seventeen students respectively in 2008.
Duke University - Durham, NC
Duke University, 103 Allen Bldg, Durham, NC 27708. Duke University is a large university located in Durham, North Carolina. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 13,871 students and an admission rate of 23%. Duke University has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Economics which graduated forty-five, fifty-two, and eleven students respectively in 2008.
Meredith College - Raleigh, NC
Meredith College, 3800 Hillsborough St, Raleigh, NC 27607-5298. Meredith College is a small college located in Raleigh, North Carolina. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,250 students and an admission rate of 69%. Meredith College has 2 areas of study related to Market Research Analyst. They are:
- Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
North Carolina State University at Raleigh - Raleigh, NC
North Carolina State University at Raleigh, 2101 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27695-7001. North Carolina State University at Raleigh is a large university located in Raleigh, North Carolina. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 32,871 students and an admission rate of 60%. North Carolina State University at Raleigh has 2 areas of study related to Market Research Analyst. They are:
- Economics, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated thirty-eight and six students respectively in 2008.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 7 students in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Raleigh, North Carolina
Raleigh is located in Wake County, North Carolina. It has a population of over 392,552, which has grown by 42.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Raleigh, 88, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Raleigh are valued at $217,600 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, 1,685 new homes were built in Raleigh, down from 3,224 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Raleigh are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 44.9% of Raleigh residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 14.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Raleigh is 7.2%, which is less than North Carolina's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of Raleigh residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.8%, is less than both the national and state average. Highland Church, Hillcrest Church and Wake Chapel are all churches located in Raleigh. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Raleigh is home to the North Ridge Country Club and the Pamlico Junction as well as Carl Alwin Schenck Memorial Forest and Rothgeb Park. Visitors to Raleigh can choose from Hampton Inn - Capital Blvd. North, Best Western Raleigh Inn and Diamond Hospitality Inc for temporary stays in the area.