Career and Education Opportunities for Secretaries in High Point, North Carolina
For those living in the High Point, North Carolina area, there are many career and education opportunities for secretaries. About 58,560 people are currently employed as secretaries in North Carolina. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 7% to about 62,810 people employed. This is better than the national trend for secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 4.6% over the next eight years. In general, secretaries perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
Income for secretaries is about $13 per hour or $28,140 annually on average in North Carolina. Nationally, their income is about $13 per hour or $29,050 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Secretarial, people working as secretaries in North Carolina earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Secretarial nationally.
The High Point area is home to twenty-nine schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of High Point where you can get a degree as a secretary. The most common level of education for secretaries is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Secretary
In general, secretaries perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
Secretaries operate office equipment such as fax machines and phone systems, and use computers for spreadsheet and other applications. They also make copies of correspondence and other printed material. Equally important, secretaries have to answer telephones and give data to callers or transfer calls to appropriate individuals. They are often called upon to greet visitors and callers, handle their inquiries, and direct them to the appropriate persons in line with their needs. They are expected to learn to operate new office technologies as they are developed and implemented. Finally, secretaries schedule and confirm appointments for clients or supervisors.
Every day, secretaries are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for secretaries to conduct searches to discover needed data, using such sources as the Internet. They are often called upon to order and dispense supplies. They also open and distribute incoming mail and other material and answer routine letters. They are sometimes expected to locate and attach appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring replies. Somewhat less frequently, secretaries are also expected to operate office equipment such as fax machines and phone systems, and use computers for spreadsheet and other applications.
Secretaries sometimes are asked to establish work procedures and schedules and keep track of the daily work of clerical staff. They also have to be able to collect and disburse funds from cash accounts, and keep archives of collections and disbursements and prepare and maintain paper and electronic filing systems for archives and other material. And finally, they sometimes have to greet visitors and callers, handle their inquiries, and direct them to the appropriate persons in line with their needs.
Like many other jobs, secretaries must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in High Point include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Receptionist. Answer inquiries and obtain information for general public, customers, and other interested parties. Provide information regarding activities conducted at establishment; location of departments, offices, and employees within organization.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Secretary Training
Brookstone College - Greensboro, NC
Brookstone College, 424 Gallimore Dairy Road, Greensboro, NC 27409-9545. Brookstone College is a small college located in Greensboro, North Carolina. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 192 students and an admission rate of 70%. Brookstone College has 2 areas of study related to Secretary. They are:
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, less than one year which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Executive Assistant/Executive Secretary, less than one year which graduated 4 students in 2008.
Rockingham Community College - Wentworth, NC
Rockingham Community College, Hwy 65w County Home Rd, Wentworth, NC 27375-0038. Rockingham Community College is a small college located in Wentworth, North Carolina. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,098 students. Rockingham Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Executive Assistant/Executive Secretary which graduated three and four students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: High Point, North Carolina
High Point is located in Guilford County, North Carolina. It has a population of over 101,835, which has grown by 18.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in High Point, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in High Point cost $189,700 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, two hundred ninety new homes were constructed in High Point, down from four hundred eighty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in High Point are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is furniture and related product manufacturing, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 20 minutes. More than 25.5% of High Point residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in High Point is 11.0%, which is greater than North Carolina's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of High Point residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 46.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Hickory Chapel, Mount Carmel Church and Conrad Memorial Church are among the churches located in High Point. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
High Point is home to the Emerywood Country Club and the Uwharrie Council Camp as well as Washington Terrace Park and Armstrong Park. Visitors to High Point can choose from Brookline Furniture CO, Hampton Inn High Point and Fairfield Inn and Stes High Point/Archdl for temporary stays in the area.