Career and Education Opportunities for Postmasters in High Point, North Carolina
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for postmasters in the High Point, North Carolina area. There are currently 700 working postmasters in North Carolina; this should grow by 5% to about 730 working postmasters in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for postmasters, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 15.1% over the next eight years. In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U.
Postmasters earn about $29 per hour or $61,810 annually on average in North Carolina and about $28 per hour or $59,310 per year on average nationally. Earnings for postmasters are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Transportation and Logistics in North Carolina and not quite as good as general Transportation and Logistics category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: distribution operation supervisor , computerized forwarding system supervisor, and distribution operations manager.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of High Point where you can study to be a postmaster, among twenty-nine schools of higher education total in the High Point area. The most common level of education for postmasters is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a postmaster if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Postmaster
In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U. They also s.
Postmasters organize and supervise efforts such as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail. They also resolve customer complaints. Finally, postmasters ready employee work schedules.
Every day, postmasters are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for postmasters to ready and submit detailed and summary reports of post office efforts to designated supervisors. They are often called upon to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance. They also negotiate labor disputes. They are sometimes expected to direct and schedule operational, management, and supportive services of one or variety of postal facilities. Somewhat less frequently, postmasters are also expected to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance.
Postmasters sometimes are asked to ready employee work schedules. They also have to be able to issue and cash money orders And finally, they sometimes have to talk with suppliers to obtain bids for proposed purchases and to requisition supplies; disburse funds in line with federal regulations.
Like many other jobs, postmasters must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in High Point include:
- Administrator. Plan, direct, or coordinate supportive services of an organization, such as recordkeeping, mail distribution, telephone operator/receptionist, and other office support services. May oversee facilities planning and maintenance and custodial operations.
- Chief Executive Officer. Determine and formulate policies and provide the overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within the guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plan, direct, or coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
- Compensation and Benefits Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate compensation and benefits activities and staff of an organization.
- Human Relations Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate human resource management activities of an organization to maximize the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as employee compensation, recruitment, and regulatory compliance.
- Shipping Receiving Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the storage and distribution operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that are engaged in storing and distributing materials and products.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
- Transportation Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Postmaster Training
University of North Carolina at Greensboro - Greensboro, NC
University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 1000 Spring Garden St, Greensboro, NC 27402-6170. University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a large university located in Greensboro, North Carolina. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 19,768 students and an admission rate of 71%. University of North Carolina at Greensboro has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated eleven students in 2008.
Winston-Salem State University - Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem State University, 601 Martin Luther King Jr Dr, Winston-Salem, NC 27110-0001. Winston-Salem State University is a medium sized university located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,444 students and an admission rate of 68%. Winston-Salem State University has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration.
Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence: The Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence is a professional who leads and champions process-improvement initiatives everywhere from small businesses to multinational corporations that can have regional or global focus in a variety of service and industrial settings.
For more information, see the American Society for Quality website.
Certified Manager: Certified Manager certification is valued for the credibility and recognition it brings to managers and the organizations for which they work.
For more information, see the Institute of Certified Professional Managers website.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: High Point, North Carolina
High Point is located in Guilford County, North Carolina. It has a population of over 101,835, which has grown by 18.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in High Point, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in High Point cost $189,700 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, two hundred ninety new homes were constructed in High Point, down from four hundred eighty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in High Point are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is furniture and related product manufacturing, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 20 minutes. More than 25.5% of High Point residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in High Point is 11.0%, which is greater than North Carolina's average of 10.6%.
The percentage of High Point residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 46.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Hickory Chapel, Mount Carmel Church and Conrad Memorial Church are among the churches located in High Point. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
High Point is home to the Emerywood Country Club and the Uwharrie Council Camp as well as Washington Terrace Park and Armstrong Park. Visitors to High Point can choose from Brookline Furniture CO, Hampton Inn High Point and Fairfield Inn and Stes High Point/Archdl for temporary stays in the area.