Career and Education Opportunities for Production Proofreaders in Ramapo, New York
There are many career and education opportunities for production proofreaders in the Ramapo, New York area. About 2,370 people are currently employed as production proofreaders in New York. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 4% to 2,460 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for production proofreaders are expected to shrink by about 6.1%. Production proofreaders generally read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
Income for production proofreaders is about $18 per hour or $37,820 annually on average in New York. Nationally, their income is about $14 hourly or $30,490 yearly. Incomes for production proofreaders are better than in the overall category of Secretarial in New York, and not quite as good as the overall Secretarial category nationally.
The Ramapo area is home to 136 schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Ramapo where you can get a degree as a production proofreader. Production proofreaders usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a production proofreader if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Production Proofreader
In general, production proofreaders read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
Production proofreaders correct or record omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found. They also consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition. Equally important, production proofreaders have to compare data or figures on one record against same data on other archives, or with original copy, to uncover errors. They are often called upon to read corrected copies or proofs in order to insure that all corrections have been made. They are expected to mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type or spelling, using standard printers' marks. Finally, production proofreaders route proofs with marked corrections to authors or typesetters for correction and/or reprinting.
Every day, production proofreaders are expected to be able to read and understand documents and reports. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for production proofreaders to measure dimensions and positioning of page elements (copy and illustrations) in order to confirm conformance to given requirements, using printer's ruler. They are often called upon to read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names. Somewhat less frequently, production proofreaders are also expected to read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.
They also have to be able to route proofs with marked corrections to authors or typesetters for correction and/or reprinting And finally, they sometimes have to read corrected copies or proofs in order to insure that all corrections have been made.
Like many other jobs, production proofreaders must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Ramapo include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Production Proofreader Training
Orange County Community College - Middletown, NY
Orange County Community College, 115 South St, Middletown, NY 10940. Orange County Community College is a medium sized college located in Middletown, New York. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 6,763 students. Orange County Community College has an associate's degree program in Graphic and Printing Equipment Operator, General Production which graduated six students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Ramapo, New York
Ramapo is situated in Rockland County, New York. It has a population of over 115,096, which has grown by 5.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Ramapo, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Ramapo are valued at $187,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-four new homes were built in Ramapo, down from two hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Ramapo are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 33 minutes. More than 34.5% of Ramapo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Ramapo is 6.6%, which is less than New York's average of 8.7%. About 16.3% of Ramapo's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Ramapo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 82.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Wesley Chapel and Saint Vincent De Paul Church are all churches located in Ramapo. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the United Methodist Church.
Ramapo is home to the Kanes Open Camp and the Cedar Hollow Country Club.