Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Ramapo, New York
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for legal secretaries in the Ramapo, New York area. There are currently 27,810 working legal secretaries in New York; this should grow by 5% to 29,320 working legal secretaries in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. Legal secretaries generally perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
Income for legal secretaries is about $19 hourly or $41,270 per year on average in New York. Nationally, their income is about $19 per hour or $39,860 per year. Earnings for legal secretaries are better than earnings in the general category of Secretarial in New York and better than general Secretarial category earnings nationally.
There are 136 schools of higher education in the Ramapo area, including three within twenty-five miles of Ramapo where you can get a degree to start your career as a legal secretary. Legal secretaries usually hold an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, so it will take about two years to learn to be a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Ramapo include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Production Proofreader. Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
HoHoKus-Hackensack School of Business and Medical Sciences - Hackensack, NJ
HoHoKus-Hackensack School of Business and Medical Sciences, 250 Moore St, Hackensack, NJ 07601. HoHoKus-Hackensack School of Business and Medical Sciences is a small school located in Hackensack, New Jersey. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 717 students and an admission rate of 87%. HoHoKus-Hackensack School of Business and Medical Sciences has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary.
Gibbs College - Livingston, NJ
Gibbs College, 630 West Mt. Pleasant Avenue Route 10, Livingston, NJ 07039. Gibbs College is a small college located in Livingston, New Jersey. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 521 students. Gibbs College has an associate's degree program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
Fox Institute of Business-Clifton - CLIFTON, NJ
Fox Institute of Business-Clifton, 346 LEXINGTON AVE, CLIFTON, NJ 07011. Fox Institute of Business-Clifton is a small school located in CLIFTON, New Jersey. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 175 students. Fox Institute of Business-Clifton has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Ramapo, New York
Ramapo is situated in Rockland County, New York. It has a population of over 115,096, which has grown by 5.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Ramapo, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Ramapo are valued at $187,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-four new homes were built in Ramapo, down from two hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Ramapo are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 33 minutes. More than 34.5% of Ramapo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Ramapo is 6.6%, which is less than New York's average of 8.7%. About 16.3% of Ramapo's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Ramapo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 82.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Wesley Chapel and Saint Vincent De Paul Church are all churches located in Ramapo. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the United Methodist Church.
Ramapo is home to the Kanes Open Camp and the Cedar Hollow Country Club.